Are you in the need for a quick easy treat for brunch, breakfast, tea or coffee time? Here it is. Served still warm out of the oven makes this one irresistible. Made with yeast, don’t worry, there is no kneading or long rise time.
I clearly remember the first time I had a warm slice of toasted cinnamon raisin swirl bread, slathered in salty creamy butter. I thought for sure that I must have this every single day for breakfast.
And that’s the way I feel about this Cinnamon Bun Bread. I must have it for every single brunch. Whether that brunch is at my house or if I’m an invited guest, be it Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall. And it must be served warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream melting down the sides.
This comes together easy. Using a quick rise yeast, once the dough rests in the pan that you’re going to bake it in, just swirl in a filling of brown sugar, cinnamon and cardamom. Pop it in the oven with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream waiting.
Pecan Cinnamon Bun Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons active active dry or rapid rise yeast
- 2/3 cup warm milk 100-110f; low fat is fine
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- for the filling/topping:
- 3 tbsp butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup Pecan pieces
- for the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 2 1-2 tbsp milk
- Lightly grease an 8×8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Dissolve the yeast in a measuring cup filled with the warmed milk, then stir milk mixture, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and egg into the flour mixture. Mix well, until very smooth. Pour into prepared pan and let rest for 15 minutes.
- While the dough rests, mix together butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, pecans and cardamom in a small bowl using a fork until all the butter has been incorporated into the sugar and mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly on top of rested dough and press the mixture down into the dough with your fingertips (or swirl in with a spatula.)
- Place pan into a cold oven, then set the oven temperature to 350F.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until bread is lightly browned at the edges and the center of the bread springs back when lightly pressed. Some of the sugar mixture on top may still be bubbling.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes before whisking the powdered sugar and milk together to form an icing and drizzling it onto the bread.
Cinnamon Bun Bread … It’s what’s for Brunch