Tacos aren’t just for dinner. These Chorizo Breakfast Tacos are super easy to make and flat out delicious. Chorizo, crispy potatoes and over easy eggs is simply THE best way to start out your day. Bold epic flavors, with a soft steamy flour tortilla, you’ll want to make these over and over.
What is in Breakfast Tacos?
Actually about anything you want. However, our favorite and simple way to make a breakfast taco is to brown bulk chorizo sausage, cube and crisp some potatoes, and your taco is bursting with flavor and texture.
All you need is a warmed flour tortilla, some sliced avocado and a fried over-easy egg and you’re enjoying a very flavorful breakfast taco. After all, tacos aren’t just for dinner.
How To Make Fried Potatoes Extra Flavorful
- The fried potatoes for these chorizo breakfast tacos become infused with flavor by first browning the chorizo in your non-stick fry pan.
- With a slotted spoon remove the chorizo to a plate.
- Add the potatoes to the same fry pan, without removing any of the flavored fat from the sausage. Most of the sausage I buy leaves just enough fat, a tablespoon or so. If you have purchased chorizo that leaves a large amount of grease in the pan, drain all but 1 – 2 tablespoons.
- Then fry the potatoes.
When I refer to bulk chorizo, it resembles a package of ground beef. You an also buy tubes of chorizo where the meat is more finely ground and the fat content is way to high for my taste. Stick with bulk sausage.
Make sure your potatoes have been cubed small enough to cook through in a manageable amount of time.
If you like larger cubes, (pictured above) boil the cubed potatoes for about 8 minutes, drain, pat dry and then add to the fry pan to cook through and crisp them up.
I recommend Yukon Gold potatoes. We like their color, texture and flavor.
Fillings for Mexican Breakfast Tacos Recipe
Once you try these Chorizo Breakfast Tacos, you’ll want tacos for breakfast on a regular basis. Here are some more ideas for Breakfast Taco fillings.
- Scrambled eggs, ham, roasted green chiles and cheddar cheese
- Potatoes, crumbled bacon, bell pepper and Monterey Jack cheese
- Chorizo, scrambled eggs, Monterey Jack cheese and salsa
- Scrambled eggs, bacon, green chiles, cheddar jack cheese
- Scrambled eggs, potatoes, left over beef brisket, smothered in tomatillo sauce
- Scrambled eggs, left over chicken fajitas, cheddar jack cheese with salsa
- Breakfast sausage, potatoes, jalapenos, ….
and if you’re looking to add taco seasoning, homemade is always better. Take a look at my recipe for Homemade Taco Seasoning.
Consider these toppings for your Chorizo Breakfast Tacos:
- Homemade Salsa
- Chopped Cilantro
- Cbopped fresh tomatoes
Recipe for Chorizo Breakfast Tacos
I hope you give these Chorizo Breakfast Tacos a try, and if you do, please come back and give the recipe a star rating. And leave a comment about your experience with these breakfast tacos.
And if you have a favorite chorizo breakfast recipe, please let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Mexican Breakfast Ideas:
- Eggs Rio Grande Mexican Breakfast
- Hatch Chile and Bacon Quiche
- Hatch Green Chile Smothered Breakfast Burrito
- Sausage Noodle Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Mexican Omelette with Chorizo
- Huevos a la Mexicana
And if you’re looking for a breakfast sandwich ideas, don’t miss this one for Homemade Turkey Sausage Breakfast Sandwich.
Chorizo Breakfast Tacos with Potatoes and Eggs
- 1/2 pound bulk Mexican chorizo sausage
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 flour tortillas warmed
- 2 large eggs fried
- 2 tablespoons Mexican Crumbling Cheese or feta
- Peel and cube the potatoes. Place potatoes in a sauce pan and cover with salted water. Over medium high heat, bring the potatoes to a boil and cook for 8 minutes. Drain the potatoes and pat dry.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, crumble in the bulk chorizo. Cook until browned. With a slotted spoon, remove the chorizo to a plate.
- Add the partially cooked potatoes to the same fry pan and cook until crispy and cooked through. This should only take about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked chorizo and gently stir to combine. Remove to a plate and tent to keep warm.
- With a paper towel, wipe out the fry pan. Spray the pan with PAM and cook the eggs.
- Slice an avocado. Warm 2 flour tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- To serve, spoon potato and chorizo mixture onto a warm tortilla. Serve with sliced avocado and fried eggs. Sprinkle with Mexican Crumbling Cheese.
Chorizo Breakfast Tacos … It’s What’s For Breakfast.
Gloria Brandt says
just as a short cut—I pre cook my potatoes in the microwave then into the skillet to brown, saves a lot of time
Another great creation form the master southwestern Chef and I hope to try it soon. But I will do one think different – I hate a crispy edge on my eggs as it acts like steel wire when I try to cut it 🙂
Lea Ann Brown says
Thank you Larry – Couldn’t agree more. You don’t have wire cutters just in case that pan gets too hot? 🙂 That’s when I always get that edge. :/