Chipotle Chicken Soup is such an easy soup and perfect for a weeknight meal. Simple and brothy, flavorful with chipotle peppers and cumin, chewy with hominy and savory with chicken. It’s a keeper.
What’s Not To Love About This One
This is one of those soup recipes that you hope to come across … a perfect weeknight entree that just flat out delicious. Easy, fresh in flavor and with just enough spice to make things interesting.
It’s perfect simply garnished with some sour cream and avocado, but I wanted to show off my little red chile pepper threads that I bought this fall at LuLu’s Farm Market. And actually, I was surprised that when I went to Culinary School, they had a supply and used them for various Mexican themed meals. Rather than using them for a garnish as I did here, they’re used for color and flavor and should be submerged in a liquid. If you eat them this way, they’re odd and fibrous. But you have to admit, they look festive.
These extremely thin threads of sun dried red chile pepper make a show stopping garnish (not edible at this point) for just about anything. Traditionally used in kimchi, they have a mild heat and full flavor that adds depth to soups, salads, hors d’oeurves, eggs or anything that deserves a little extra color and spice. How fun is that?
Give this soup a try. It’s one of our favorite easy weeknight fixes. It comes together in about thirty minutes and brings a wonderful combination of textures and flavors with it
Recipe for Chipotle Chicken Soup
I hope you give this chipotle chicken soup recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite easy Mexican chicken soup recipe, please let me know, I’d welcome the opportunity to give it a try.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @cookingontheranch so I can check it out and leave a comment!
- 3 14- ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 in canned chipotle pepper adobo sauce cut into slivers I removed seeds and veins
- 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce
- 4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite sized (about 12 ounces total)
- 1/2 t . ground cumin
- 2 t . olive oil
- 1 small avocado halved, peeled and sliced
- 1 14- ounce can white or yellow hominy drained
- Sour cream
- Cilantro for sprinkling
- In a saucepan, combine chicken broth and chipotle pepper and sauce. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for ten minutes.
- Sprinkle the chicken breast with cumin and mix well. In a large skillet cook chicken in 2 t. hot olive oil over medium high for 8 minutes, or until chicken breast is no longer pink.
- To serve, place cooked chicken in each of four warmed soup bowls. Add avocado and hominy to each bowl. Pour simmering broth into each bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Chipotle Chicken Soup …It’s what’s for Dinner.
Looking for more healthy easy Mexican food chicken recipes? You won’t want to miss: