My secret for a great Chicken Pot Pie, is to ask my friend Cauleen for her secret. Cauleen makes the best Chicken Pot Pie I’ve ever had. It was tradition that every Halloween she invited us over for Chicken Pot Pies and tricks and treats. Cauleen and Greg moved to Chicago this past Summer but I wasn’t going to let that cheat me out of my holiday Chicken Pot Pie. Full of vegetables, perfect in texture, tender chicken breast and a flaky crust…what’s her secret? I got her on the phone for a little interrogation.
Her secret is to cover whole bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts in salted water and simmer until almost done. She removes the chicken to a cutting board and reserves the flavorful brothy water to simmer the vegetables until tender crisp. If you’ve really want a great chicken pot pie, you can make your own Perfect Pie Crust Using Butter, got a perfect no-fail pie crust, but she uses Pillsbury crusts from the refrigerator section of the grocery store. And with Halloween falling on a weeknight this year, I opted for the easy purchased crusts, as well. Brushing a little butter over the top of the crust before baking made for a golden and flaky topping for the pie.
I’ve never made chicken pot pie in my life, and I was very pleased with my first efforts and duplicating her recipe. Thank you Cauleen for sharing your recipe.
- 3 chicken breasts bone-in, skin-on
- 2 Cup celery chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 Cup carrots chopped
- 2 Cup potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1/2 Cup frozen peas
- 1 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 4 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 1/2 C milk
- Chicken broth for consistency
- Season with:
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram, sage and thyme
- Cover the chicken breasts in water. Add the chicken bouillon. Bring to a simmer and cook until almost done. Remove the chicken breast to a cutting board. When cooled, remove skin and shred meat from the bone. Set aside.
- Bringing the water to a 2nd boil, add the vegetables and cook until almost tender. With a slotted spoon remove the vegetables to a plate.
- In the meantime melt butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and simmer, stirring, until the mixture starts to brown. About 3-4 minutes. Warm milk in the microwave for about a minute and add to the mixture. Stir constantly until the gravy thickens. Add some chicken broth water to bring the mixture to a perfect creamy consistency. I added about 1/2 cup or more. Stirring. Adjust seasonings to your taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- In the meantime, roll out 2 crusts and form them into 2 deep dish pie plates. With a fork, poke holes in the pie crusts. Top with a layer of chicken and a layer of the vegetables. Pour the gravy over the chicken and vegetables to almost the top of the pie dish. Unroll two more crusts and place them over the mixture. Crimp the edges, and cut 6 slits in the top of the crust. Brush with melted butter. I had a small amount of veggies and chicken left over.
- Bake 350 degreed 40 - 45 minutes.
Chicken Pot Pie…It’s what’s for Dinner.