Slow Cooker Tinga de Pollo Poblano Tacos. The crock pot works perfect for this chicken, chorizo and potato taco recipe. With a base of refried beans and a topping of avocado, you’ve got an easy tingalicious weeknight dinner.
Slow cooker recipes are undeniably a hit right now, especially with the Fall and Winter months coming up! There’s no question why—there’s nothing like good, slow cooked comfort food that sticks to your ribs and just makes you happy. Plus, you can set it and forget it. For this Sunday Supper, bring your best slow cooker comfort food recipes to the table.
It’s time for #SundaySupper and this week’s event is all about comfort foods from the crockpot. Having just returned from New Mexico with tons of Southwestern inspiration and a car load of New Mexico spices, it wasn’t hard for me to turn towards some chile powder, poblano peppers and chorizo for these chicken tinga tacos.
This recipe worked beautifully in the slow cooker. A few years ago, I purchased a new crockpot that had an insert that could be used on the stove top. I love that feature. If you don’t have an insert, please take the time to brown the chicken in a skillet before you add it to the crock pot. I don’t subscribe to the theory of dumping meat directly into the crock pot without searing first. It’s a life long habit of mine that was strongly reinforced when I attended culinary school. I’ve included an affiliate link for your convenience.
Once this dish is complete, taste and adjust the seasonings. For example, I added a bit more salt to our taste, and an additional heaping teaspoon of the New Mexico Chile Powder. The additional chile powder added more complexity and depth. It also added more spice, so taste before you add.
The end flavor result is killer. The chorizo adds texture and a smoky edge, the potato a creamy smooth treat, and the chicken which has taken on all of those Southwestern flavors is exquisite. The refried bean, as a base, just ramp up the experience even more.
Recipe for Slow Cooker Tinga de Pollo Poblano Tacos
I hope you give this one a try and if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating. Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes.
This slow cooker Southwestern inspired Chicken Tinga is full of flavor with poblano peppers, and plenty spicy excitement.
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can chopped tomatoes not drained
- 2 - 3 canned Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce seeds and veins scraped away
- 1 tablespoon Adobo Sauce from can
- 2 clovess garlic peeled
- 2 pounds chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon New Mexico Red Chile Powder
- 1/2 ground Chorizo sausage
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 2 cups potatoes 1 inch cubes
- 1 good splash Sherry vinegar
- 1 good splash White wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Mexican Oregano
In a food processor, blend together the canned tomatoes, the Chipotle peppers, the adobo sauce and garlic.
Rinse chicken and pat dry with a towel. I used 1/2 boneless skinless chicken breast and 1/2 boneless skinless chicken thighs. Sprinkle one side of the chicken with flour. Shake to remove access flour.
Salt and pepper the chicken to taste. Sprinkle the floured side of the chicken with the New Mexico Chile Powder. Then gently rub it into the chicken.
In a fry pan, or your stove top friendly Slow Cooker Insert, heat the pan over medium high heat. When hot, add crumbled Chorizo Sausage. Let it cook a couple of minutes to release some fat. Move the sausage to the edges of the pan and add the chicken, floured side down. Let the chicken sear for about 5 minutes, then turn. Sear the other side for a couple of minutes.
Add the chopped poblano and onion to the mixture and let cook for about 2 minutes.
Move the mixture to your slow cooker. Sprinkle the potatoes on top of the chicken, sausage mixture. Top with the red sauce from the food processor.
Sprinkle with the Mexican Oregano, the Sherry Vinegar, the White Wine and the Worcestershire. Cover and cook on low 6 hours or high 3 hours.
Taking two forks, shred the chicken meat inside the pan. Stir well and adjust seasonings.
To serve, heat corn tortillas. Spread the tortillas with refried beans. Top with Chicken Tinga Mixture. Garnish with chopped avocado, diced yellow onion, and Mexican Crumbling Cheese. Serve immediately.
Once this dish is complete, taste and adjust the seasonings. For example, I added a bit more salt for our taste, and an additional heaping teaspoon of the New Mexico Chile Powder. The additional chile powder added more complexity and depth. It also added more spice, so taste before you add.
Looking for more slow cooker taco ideas? How about these Slow Cooker Barbacoa Tacos.
Looking for more Chicken Taco recipes? You won’t want to miss:
Recipe Link >> Saucy Chicken Soft Tacos
Slow Cooker Comfort Food Recipes #SundaySupper
Desserts, Breakfasts, and Sides
- Easy Slow Cooker Apple Crisp by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy Slow Cooker Banana Coconut Pudding by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Baked Apples by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Slower Cooker Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter by Our Good Life
- Beef Brisket in Slow Cooker by Life Tastes Good
- Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff by Flour On My Face
- Crockpot Cabbage Rolls by My World Simplified
- Slow Cooker Asian BBQ Pork by Simple and Savory
- Slow Cooker Asian Garlic-Ginger Meatballs by The Weekend Gourmet
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy by Sunday Supper Movement
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Cube Steaks Paprika by Hardly A Goddess
- Slow Cooker Pepperoncini Chicken by Cricket’s Confections
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak by Soulfully Made
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs with Mushrooms by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Swiss Steak by Palatable Pastime
- Slow Cooker Tinga de Pollo Poblano by Cooking On The Ranch
Soups, Stews, and Pastas
- Beef Massaman Curry (Slow Cooker) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Beefy Chili Mac by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Kid Friendly Mac and Cheese in a Crockpot by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork & Lentil Stew by Gourmet Everyday
- Slow Cooker Baked Ziti by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Slow Cooker Curried Butternut Squash Soup by Bites of Wellness
- Slow Cooker Low Carb Mexican Casserole by My Life Cookbook
- Slow Cooker Pesto Mozzarella Chicken Pasta by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Slow Cooker Southwestern Pork Stew by The Freshman Cook
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.