This is a recipe for easy mushroom soup that also healthy and luxurious. This Country Mushroom Soup with Brown Rice is a great dinner idea. The secret weapon that brings this brothy, earthy soup to stardom is adding sherry to the broth. It’s a great partner for the simple seasoning of thyme.
How did it happen? Yes, it’s six degrees out right now, but I’m not blaming the deep freeze weather for our sudden glut of soup. We’ve eaten soup every day this week, for lunch, for dinner. Then it dawned on me, this Country Mushroom Soup ended up to be the gateway drug. As soon as we finished the pot, we wanted more soup. Which then led to a bowl of Mulligatawny, And I’m already planning to make this White Bean and Ham Tortellini Soup.
But I’m not worried at all, we can quit anytime we want.
The secret weapon that brings this brothy, earthy soup to stardom is the Sherry. It elevates the level to fragrant, luxurious and wonderfully slurp worthy.
Sherry is a fortified wine and produced in Jarez, Spain. Fortification means that a neutral spirit has been added to wine either during or after the fermentation process. With sherry, it’s added after. Fortification gives wine more complexity, a higher alcohol content and a little goes a long way in a recipe. Just a small amount will add great flavor and depth.
Sherry elevates a recipe with it’s nutty flavor and smoky back notes. Don’t hesitate to experiment. It works beautifully with mushrooms, shrimp, crab, or poultry. So think outside that white wine box when using wine for cooking. Drizzle a little sherry to make something delicious even that more special.
Easy Mushroom Soup, healthy and luxurious. This is a Recipe For Country Mushroom with Brown Rice.
I hope you give this easy mushroom soup recipe a try. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating.
Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. And if you have a favorite mushroom soup recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion rough chopped
- 1 pound button mushrooms wiped clean and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry Sherry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium high heat, heat a dutch oven until just getting hot. Add butter and olive oil. When oil mixture is hot, add onion and brown rice. Toast the onion and rice stirring constantly, about 5 - 6 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium and add the mushrooms. Cook until just browned. About 5 minutes more. Stirring frequently. Add broth and thyme and simmer covered about 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in Sherry and season with salt and pepper. Simmer on low uncovered for 10 minutes.
Country Mushroom Soup …It’s what’s for Dinner.