Looking for something new and exciting? Take a break from your repertoire of memorized chicken recipes for these amazing Chicken Souvlaki Skewers.
The robust flavors of Mediterranean cooking are perfect for summer eating, and you don’t have to fly across an ocean for a taste. It’s easy enough to recreate these flavors in your home kitchen.
Simply put, this is the most flavorful marinated chicken I have ever had. The chicken soaks up every drop of freshness and doesn’t let go during grilling. Who can resist the combination of garlic, fresh lemon, red wine vinegar and sweet paprika?
Purchasing a package of pre-cut chicken cutlets made this super easy. I just sliced them in half lengthwise and poured on the marinade.
After skewered, just grill until cooked through. Serve with Tzatziki Sauce and warm homemade flat bread. I couldn’t get enough of this Mediterranean meal.
For traditional skewered foods, metal rods work best, and can be used over and over. But if you’re using wooden skewers, which I think make all foods look better, they will need to be soaked 30 minutes in advance.
I have to mention, I love that little slanted bowl holding the Tzatziki Sauce. I’ve used it a hundred times since. Not very expensive and great to showcase any little appetizer or dip. They come in a set and are available at Amazon. The Link is below the photo if you’re interested.
An Affiliate link is included for your convenience.
- For the Chicken Marinade:
- 3 cloves medium garlic fine minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- For the skewers:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 in bamboo skewers soaked water for 30 minutes
- vegetable oil for brushing grill
- 2 tomatoes sliced for serving
- 1 small red onion sliced for serving
- Tzatziki sauce for dipping
- In a medium bowl add all marinade ingredients, whisk to combine. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, preferably up to 2 hours.
- When ready to grill, remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Thread chicken pieces onto skewers, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Using a silicone brush coat the grill with oil and place skewers on the grill. Cook until grill marked and cooked through. About 6 - 8 minutes, turning halfway through.
- To serve: Transfer skewers to a medium platter and serve with warm flatbread, sliced tomatoes, sliced red onion and Tzatziki sauce for dipping.
- Note: if using a grill pan indoors, make sure you have good ventilation. The oil in this recipe and create some smoke.
Chicken Souvlaki…It’s What’s for Dinner
Looking for the perfect appetizer for this Chicken? Shake things up with this Warm Rosemary and Garlic Olives. If you’re an olive lover, this is a wow recipe.
And if you’re interested in more chicken kabob recipe ideas, take a look at: