Toasted Hominy Bacon and Eggs. Such an easy and delicious breakfast served with a poached or fried egg.
One of the perks of taking a cooking class from Chef Mark over at Sur la Table is that he’ll casually mention a kick-ass recipe (which is not part of the class) in such a nonchalant way that if you’re not listening you might miss it. A big take away was the Chocolate Tart recipe that I successfully made in my own kitchen. And in our last class we were toasting chickpeas for a Mediterranean meal, and as if it were as common as toast, he mentioned toasting hominy and serving it with a poached or fried egg. With a big “Whoa, whoa…WHOA, back up,” I quickly grabbed my pen, asked him to tell all, and wrote it down before the moment passed. And yay, there is bacon involved.
Easy and delicious, give this one a try.
- 4 slices bacon rough chopped
- 1 can white or yellow hominy drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 clove large garlic minced
- 1 medium shallot minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a medium fry pan over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until 50% done. Add in hominy and cook until bacon is done and hominy is starting to toast. Stir in thyme, garlic and shallot. Cook until fragrant and shallot is starting to soften. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately with a poached or fried egg.
Love bringing Mexican to your breakfast table? Try this one:
Toasted Hominy Bacon and Eggs…It’s what’s for Breakfast.