A hearty Mexican breakfast casserole with egg noodles and sausage. Easy and cheesy. Everything you’d expect in a casserole dish like this, a one pot meal that’s great for a hearty breakfast to feed a crowd.
Is there any noise in the kitchen more satisfying than the sound pasta makes when you’re stirring it together with saucy ingredients? Those ingredients for this Mexican Breakfast Casserole include egg noodles, sausage, cheese, cream of mushroom soup, milk, Hatch chile peppers, tomato, avocado….all baked into a creamy treat.
Rude awakening. We had our first Summer snow storm last Thursday. Wednesday night we went to bed with temps in the 70’s and woke up Thursday morning with low hanging thick clouds that decided to drop some icy snow to stick on our green grass, trees and rooftops. Oh, it didn’t amount to much according to Colorado standards, but it was a shock to our flip-flopped feet. Absolutely perfect excuse to drag out the pasta, the cheese and the casserole dish. Side note, we’ve been back in the 80’s ever since this little front moved on through.
This is a great one-dish breakfast meal. I cooked the egg noodles on the stovetop according to package instructions in my 3.5 qt. Le Creuset French Oven. While they cooked I browned some breakfast sausage with chopped onion and bell pepper. I sliced up some tomatoes and roasted Hatch chile peppers and dug around in my newly organized pantry and found a “cream of” soup. Here’s how it went together:
After the noodles were drained and back in the French oven, I simply topped them with everything that was to go in the casserole. Even two whole eggs, which I should have lightly beaten, but was feeling frivolous.
After a good stir to make sure all ingredients mixed together evenly, I popped the pan into a 350 degree oven for about thirty minutes until everything was nice and bubbly. This was everything you expect in a casserole of this type. Creamy and cheesy in texture, spicy with Fall flavors of Hatch green chile and chile powder, savory with sausage and sweet with tomatoes and orange bell pepper. Topped with chopped avocado and homemade salsa, we definitely had seconds…and thirds.
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 orange or red bell pepper rough chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 4 roasted and peeled Hatch green chile rough chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 can milk
- 2 tablespoons reserved pasta water
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper I used medium heat Chamayo
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- salsa and chopped avocado for topping
- Cook pasta according to package directions in an oven proof casserole.
- While pasta is cooking, saute sausage, onion, and bell pepper in a skillet. Drain sausage mixture.
- Drain pasta and return to casserole. Top with remaining ingredients and stir well. Sprinkle top with a little more grated cheese.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve topped with salsa and chopped avocado.
Love hearty Mexican-style meals. You won’t want to miss the most popular post on my site:
Mexican Breakfast Casserole …It’s what’s for Breakfast.