This couscous with asparagus and tomato, flavored with basil and lemon is a great Summer side dish. Perfect for anything grilled. Steak, chicken or pork chops.
It’s August SRC Reveal Day for Group B. Always fun to be a little sneaky. This month my assignment was to carouse around over at Ellie’s The Bitchin’ Kitchin‘ and decide on what I wanted to prepare. For those of you just tuning in, the Secret Recipe Club is a group of food bloggers who each month are secretly assigned to another blogger in his/her group. You are given a publish date and have a few weeks to look around on the target blog to find something you’d like to cook. You don’t know until reveal day who had your blog.
Ellie is the author and owner of Bitchin’ Kitchen’ and lives in Hoboken New Jersey. She writes a really good blog with a sassy style that’s short and to the point.
What I REALLY wanted to make from Ellie’s blog was her CrockPot Hungarian Goulash, but I’ll save that for a savory cool day this Fall. Since I’m all about side dishes these days and using my grill for simple main courses, I landed on this Asparagus, Tomato, Basil Couscous. Using fresh tomatoes and basil from my garden and some tender asparagus from Whole Foods, it was a great Summer side dish for a simply grilled chicken breast.
I didn’t use all of the tomato and asparagus for the couscous, so the next morning for breakfast, I just heated it in the microwave and stirred it into some scrambled eggs. Alongside some fried rosemary new potatoes, breakfast was a treat.
This couscous with asparagus and tomato, flavored with basil and lemon is a great Summer side dish.
- 1 Box Roasted Garlic & Olive Oil Couscous Lundberg Brand
- 1 pound asparagus tough ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup fresh basil chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat grill/grill pan to medium-high heat. Drizzle asparagus with 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt & pepper. Grill 3-4 minutes per side, until charred & slightly tender (you still want a nice bite to it). Transfer asparagus to a cutting board and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss cooked couscous with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Stir in pine nuts, tomatoes and asparagus. Gently stir in mozzarella, & basil and squeeze lemon juice on top to finish off the dish. Season with salt & pepper and serve cold or at room temperature.
Couscous with Asparagus and Tomato…It’s What’s for a Side Dish.