If you’ve followed my blog for any length of time, you know that I’m crazy about food that’s Southwestern, Tex-Mex, or Mexican. As long as there’s a flour or corn tortilla, fresh ingredients and those happy spices involved, I’m eating it. However, one thing I don’t usually like are fried Mexican things. Chimichangas come to mind…flour tortilla that’s been filled with everything wonderful and then deep fat fried, then smothered in melted cheese and green chili. Most of the time they end up, well…can you spell g-r-e-a-s-y? Taquitos are not so bad as it seems that corn tortillas don’t sop us the grease like flour, and if either flour or corn tortillas are used, I think they’re mostly skillet fried as opposed to deep fried. Not quite as g-r-e-a-s-y.
What I like most about this recipe, first of all, is that these are brushed with oil and then baked. They’re easy, and the possibilities for fillings are endless. Light and crispy-crunchy on the outside and hot, cheesy and flavor-packed on the inside…the makings of a wonderful treat.
Note, I used too big of tortillas, so these pictured are just flat out too fat. All I had on hand were very large tortillas. There was no way to put a small amount of filling in the tortilla without it wrapping five times. Next time…and there will be a next time…very soon.
Let’s take a look.
A healthier version of chicken taquitos
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1, 10 can can diced tomatoes with green chilies drained 10 ounce, I used ROTEL brand
- Canola or Vegetable oil for brushing the tops
- 18 small soft tortilla shells
- Sour cream chopped scallion, salsa and hot sauce for the side
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat olive oil in large pan. Add onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 6 minutes. Add ground chicken and with a spatula, break the chicken apart and move it all around the pan. Continue breaking up the chicken and cooking until no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix together well coating the chicken with the spices. Add drained tomatoes and green chilies and mix together well to incorporate all ingredients, about 2 additional minutes. Spoon the chicken into a large bowl and stir in your cheese until well combined.
- Cover soft tortilla shells with a damp paper towel (6 at a time) and place in the microwave until pliable, about 40-60 seconds. (Alternatively, you could heat tortillas up in a hot cast iron pan a few seconds on each side.)
- Take your pliable tortilla shells and spoon about 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the shell. Roll up lengthwise and end seam side down. Continue with remaining tortillas.
- Place taquitos seam side down on a lightly greased pan (or one lined with parchment paper). Brush the tops lightly with canola oil. Bake in the preheated oven about 8 minutes or until taquitos are slightly brown on top and the filling is bubbling.
Baked Chicken and Cheese Taquitos…They’re What’s for the Superbowl, Snacking, or even Dinner