Easy, Springy, Fresh and Fabulous. Chicken Salad Recipe with Avocado, Celery and Dill.
This week’s Sunday Supper theme is all about Easy Spring Recipes. Spring is in the air! Let’s celebrate with some beautiful recipes featuring the flavors of spring.
If you’re not familiar, the #SundaySupper Movement was started by Isabel over at Family Foodie as a project for “bringing back Sunday supper around the family table.” Who can argue with that??? And a big thanks to Anne from Simple and Savory for hosting our event this week.
Remember when adding grapes to chicken salad was the greatest thing to ever happen to chicken salad? It was exciting. It was delicious. It was 100 years ago. Let’s update that trend, and let’s start with avocados.
I’ve made no bones that I have no tolerance for dry and pressed saw-dusty textured chicken breast. I’m a dark meat fan for the most part. But roast a chicken the right way, bone in, skin on, involve some butter and I think I could eat it every day. That’s how we start this recipe, by roasting a chicken breast to all it’s juicy glory. Remove the skin, remove the meat from then bone and then dicing it to drench it in a wonderfully light sauce that’s got just enough rice vinegar to tang up your life. Add some scallions, a crunch of celery and fresh dill and those Robins will start singing.
Serve this light and fresh salad simply on a bed of lettuce, or on top of crackers for a party appetizer. Perfect for a ladies luncheon.
Easy, healthy and full of flavor. A little bit cream and a little bit tangy.
- 2 chicken breast halves, bone in, skin on roasted, then cubed
- 1 bunch scallions chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 2 avocados 1 halved and 1 chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Roast your chicken breast. Then cool and cube.
In a large bowl, toss the chicken, scallions and celery to combine. Gently stir in the chopped avocado and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice.
In a blender, combine the remaining avocado and lemon juice. Add the olive oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, parsley and dill. Puree until smooth. The mixture should be thick and about the consistency of mayonnaise. (If needed, thin the mixture with 1 to 2 tablespoons water.)
Pour the dressing over the chicken mixture and gently toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust flavors to suit you.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. The salad will keep, refrigerated, for up 1 day.
Garnish with fresh dill.
You can also use the meat from 1 rotisserie chicken. Serve on a big leaf of Bibb Lettuce, or with crackers.
Creamy Tangy Avocado Chicken Salad … It’s what’s for Dinner
Looking for more fresh and Springy? Take a look at this great lineup of recipes;
Cakes, Pies, and Sweets
- Coconut Custard Pie by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Strawberry Meringue Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mango Banana Bread by Asian in America
- Meyer Lemon Panna Cotta by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Upside Down Brown Sugar Apricot Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
Cookies and Bars
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Coconut Mango Chia Pudding Parfait by The Crumby Cupcake
- Maple Syrup Madeleines by The Finer Cookie
- Oatmeal Rhubarb Bars by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Pistachio Lemon Bars by From the Bookshelf
- Creamy and Tangy Avocado Chicken Salad by Cooking On The Ranch
- Grilled Lamb Lollipops with a Lemon and Pea Dip by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Lemon Quinoa Salad with Asparagus and Tomatoes by Hardly a Goddess
- Pad Thai Spring Rolls by Brunch-n-Bites
- Parmesan Crusted Pork Tenderloin by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Spring Pizza with Goat Cheese & Asparagus by Wholistic Woman
- Spring Power Bowl by Simple and Savory
- Crab and Asparagus Pasta by My Savory Spoon.com
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Asparagus Rotini Pasta by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pasta Salad with Artichoke Hearts & Feta by Soulfully Made
- Simple Pasta with Peas, Ham and Cream by Cooking With Carlee
- Spinach Artichoke Pasta Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Baked Swordfish and Asparagus with Lentils and Chermoula by Caroline’s Cooking
- Flaked Salmon Arugula Spinach Watercress Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Salmon with Brie by Books n’ Cooks
- Red Snapper in a Saffron-Tomato Broth with Artichoke Hearts & Potatoes by Gourmet Everyday
- Roasted Shrimp and Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Salmon with Parsley Pesto and Peas by Cooking Chat
Veggies and Sides
- Alfredo Scalloped Potatoes with Ham by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Asparagus Ham and Swiss Danish Braid by Crazed Mom
- Asparagus Soup by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Cheesy Potato Asparagus Tart by Sunday Supper Movement
- Herbed Lemon Potato Salad by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Microwave Carrots and Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- Roasted Spring Vegetables by Food Lust People Love
- Shaved Asparagus Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.