This non dairy Butternut Squash Soup with Apple is savory, sweet. A delightful dinner entree.
Happy 2nd Wednesday of September, which for our group of sneaky bloggers means that it’s time for Blogger’s Clue. Blogger’s Clue is a monthly party created by Liz over at That Skinny Chick can Bake. For each assignment, we’re given a clue, and a blog and we’re to take that clue and find a recipe to make. This month that clue was apples and pears! Tis the season.
I was assigned to Lisa’s Authentic Suburban Gourmet. She’s a bona fide Bay Area foodie. Lisa loves the city, but lives in the suburbs. Enjoys the country, if that means going to the wine country for the weekend. She’s a native of San Francisco Bay Area and has an immense affinity for great food, wine and entertaining. Lucky her…she lives close enough to enjoy wine country. And where there’s wine country you can always count on great food.
Lisa started blogging in January 2009, which means there was a lot of apple and pear selections to choose from. Here was my dilemma:
I really wanted to try her Caramelized Apple Skillet Cake, but you know me and baking. And I’ve pinned her Pear and Prosciutto crostini to try later. Doesn’t that sound like a great appetizer for a wine party?
I’ve tried making two butternut squash soups in my cooking life, and haven’t been very tickled with either, so I landed on her Butternut Squash and Apple soup. This soup is amazing due to the fact that there isn’t any heavy cream involved. The liquid is chicken broth and apple juice. And with plenty of savory butternut squash, we really enjoyed this crisp Fall bowl of soup.
And wanting to end my search for a Brussels Sprout recipe to love, I also picked her Brussels Sprouts with Pear and Hazelnuts side dish. A trip to three markets didn’t turn up any Hazelnuts, so I’ve had to substitute almonds. I have to admit, as long as I had a bite of sweet caramelized pear along with the sprouts, and some crunch of the almonds, I really liked this recipe…a lot.
I’ll leave you with a dose of darling. You know me and my affection for pups, take a look at Marty and Stewart, Lisa’s Havanese puppies. I mean…GET OUT! 🙂
So, let’s take a look at this Dairy Free Butternut Squash Soup
A perfect Fall soup recipe.
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Large onion finely diced
- 36 oz Butternut Squash one inch cubes
- 6 Cups Chicken broth
- 1 Large apple peeled, cored and diced
- ½ Cup Apple juice
- Salt and pepper
Melt the butter in a large stock pot and then add the onions. Sweat the onions until they are soft and translucent. About five minutes. Add the broth, butternut squash, apple and apple juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then turn to low and simmer for about 30 to 45 minutes, until the squash and apples are completely soft. Use an emulsion blender or puree in batches in a blender until all of the soup is silky smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Butternut Squash Soup … It’s what’s for Dinner.
Looking to add more apples and pears in your kitchen? Take a look at our Group’s selection.
- Apple Banana Bread by Lora from Cake Duchess
- Apple Brie Panini by Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Apple Butter by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Apple Oatmeal Muffins by Aly from Cooking in Stilettos
- Apple Pear Compote by Alice from A Mama, Baby and Shar-Pei in the Kitchen
- Apple Pie with Oat Streusel by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- Applesauce Pancakes by Anna from annaDishes
- Arugula, Pear and Parmesan Salad by Kate from Kate’s Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Soup with Apple by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Chaussons aux Pommes by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal by Kim from Liv Life
- Creamy Tomato Soup by Kelli from Kelli’s Kitchen
- Fresh Peach Buckle by Sue from A Palatable Pastime
- Fried Apple Hand Pies by Heather from girlichef
- Greek Yogurt Apple Loaf by Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Peach Streusel Bread by Azmina from Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Molasses Tea Bread by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Sweet Potato Apple Soup with Chipotle by Kathy from A Spoonful of Thyme
- Vegan Spiced Apple Crumb Muffins by Debra from Eliot’s Eats