This Prosciutto Parmesan Arugula Sandwich is the perfect sandwich for a picnic. So perfect it was the picnic sandwich featured in the Movie Sideways.
Happy Summer everyone. The skies are blue and the sun is hot and the ‘livin is easy…well not really. Around this time every year, we’re starting to hear the phrases like “back to school” and “where has the Summer gone” and we start feeling the crunch to invite everyone over that we’ve not invited over yet. There’s still Summer entertaining to complete before those evenings turn to crisp, cool sweater weather. But it’s hot and turning on the oven or standing out in the sun over a hot grill doesn’t sound all that much fun. Enter no-cook Summer entertaining without a flame or a pot of boiling water in sight.
And what a perfect project for our August Blogger’s Clue event. Happy 2nd Wednesday to all, and that means we’re joining in the Blogger’s Clue fun. Blogger’s Clue is a monthly party created by Liz over at That Skinny Chick can Bake. For each assignment, we’re given a clue, and a blog and we’re to take that clue and find a recipe to make. This month that clue was Beat the Heat!
I was assigned to Heather’s blog, Girlichef. When I first started blogging six years ago, Heather’s blog was one of the first I found. I’ve followed, admired, and envied her photography skills for all of these years. She had just started blogging a few months before me and we share a passion for Mexican food. I really felt a connection when I found her blog.
Heather is the Super Hero Action Figure of our food blog world. I have no idea how she has time to raise a family, blog practically every day, be involved in every blogging group out there and with most of them volunteers her time to help organize, round up and mentor new bloggers. Wonder Woman watch out, Heather’s formidable competition.
With her army of recipes, I knew I had my work cut out for me. But back to connections. I somehow quickly landed on a post she did about one of my favorite all time favorite movies, Sideways. Wine Country, adventure, drama, romance and disfunction…this movie is one we’ve watched ten times since it’s release. Hubs and I even took a trip to the Santa Barbara/Solvang area and traced the paths of wineries and restaurants that were featured in the movie.
Bingo! Prosciutto, Parmesan Arugula Sandwich is from a scene in the movie where the characters take a break from the drama and enjoy an idyllic picnic with bottle of wine on a blanket enjoying conversation, wine and food smack dab in the middle of California wine country and I knew my search for a no-cook recipe was over.
Another little coincidence in this post is that bottle of Dreaming Tree Chardonnay that Heather featured. My good friends in Denver have just introduced us to this Dave Matthews wine. We’ve really enjoyed every bottle we’ve had. A lack of minerality in the flavor of this Chardonnay just happened to be a perfect pairing for this sandwich. Thank you Heather!
Chewy ciabatta, salty prosciutto and peppery arugula come together for a great sandwich with a generous drizzle of truffle oil. I splurged on a tiny little bottle of black truffle oil and I’m so glad I did. Even with all of those wonderful ingredients, I really felt it stole the show.
A great sandwich to enjoy with a crisp Chardonnay. The perfect picnic sandwich
- 2 Ciabattini/Ciabatta Rolls
- 2 ounces Prosciutto thinly sliced
- 1 ounce Parmesan thinly sliced
- 2 small handfuls baby arugula
- truffle oil to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Slice the fresh ciabattini (ciabatta rolls) in half. Divide the prosciutto between the two bottoms of the rolls. Do the same with the Parmesan. Divide the baby arugula between the two buns and drizzle with a little truffle oil. Grind some black pepper over the top. Set the top half of the roll on top of everything.
Prosciutto Parmesan Arugula Sandwich…It’s what’s for a Summer Dinner.
Looking for more Picnic Sandwich Ideas? How about:
Don’t feel like cooking until mid-September? Take a look at these beat the heat offerings from the rest of our group.
- Asian Watermelon Salad by Lora from Cake Duchess
- Beat the Heat Negronis by Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Blueberry Icebox Pie by Kate from Kate’s Kitchen
- Curried Chicken Salad with Cucumbers by Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Frozen Cherry Lemonade by Anna from annaDishes
- Homemade Gingerale by Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Icy Rum Punch from the Islands by Debra from Eliot’s Eats
- Mango Jicama Salsa by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- No Bake Berry Cheesecake by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- Oreo Cookies n Cream Ice Cream by Heather from girlichef
- Peach Ice Cream by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pecan Brittle by Kelli from Kelli’s Kitchen
- Roasted Tomato Soup by Sue from A Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Rhubarb Sorbet by Kathy from A Spoonful of Thyme
- Summertime Fresh Corn Salad by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Tipsy Palmers by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Alice from A Mama, Baby and Shar-pei in the Kitchen