I don’t know which seems more of an eternity, a Secret Recipe Club Group B event, or the time I’ve been without my computer. My beloved Mac Book Pro fell ill a few weeks ago, so off to the Apple store for repair. Back home, and in just a few minutes, it started to go haywire again, so back it went. Ipad, I love ya, but you’re no replacement for a full blown computer. You’re rather rascally to type a post on, but with Group B deadline upon us, you’ll do in a pinch. Wait a minute? Where’s the card reader to upload a photo?
Enough of my sad story… Our group B was on Holiday break in January and it’s been ages since I’ve snuck around on someone’s blog for a fun recipe to try. My February assignment led me over to Suzanne’s place, Thru The Bugs On My Windshield. Of course I went directly to the savory section, but somehow and mysteriously ended up on this Fresh Crispy Pear Salad recipe. You see, I’ve been on a pear/blue cheese snack binge for a couple of months, and it seems I can’t get enough of this sweet juicy fruit and have even recently declared it my favorite.
Suzanne is from Texas, I like that she’s around the same age as me, and that she likes big Texas hair, and I envy her for traveling around the country in a Chevy C4500 that pulls their fifth wheel. Hence the name of her blog, taking photos “thru the bugs on my windshield”.
This recipe reminded me of an apple salad that my mom used to make, so couldn’t resist giving it a try. Mayonnaise and celery and beautiful crunchy chunks of pear…yes please. Bob and I loved the creaminess, the crunchiness and the sweet/savory flavor combination of this wonderful salad. This has been saved in my database for a side dish to enjoy time and time again. Thank you Suzanne for this recipe.
- Pear Salad
- 3 Pears, cut into 1″ pieces
- ¼ cup mixed Dried Fruit, such as raisins, currants, cherries
- ⅛ cup sliced Almonds, toasted
- 1 stalk of Celery, split and chopped into ¼″ pieces
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp White Balsamic Vinegar
- ⅛ tsp fresh cracked Black Pepper
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Combine pears, dried fruit, almonds and celery in a medium sized bowl. In another bowl, add ingredients for dressing and whisk smooth. Pour over fruit and stir gently until all ingredients are completely incorporated. Chill for about an hour before serving.
Fresh Crispy Pear Salad…It’s what’s for a Side Dish.