Stuffed Avocado Appetizer, Football Food

Avocado appetizer

Seems like I’ve gotten off to a bumpy 2014 blogging start. Projects…projects…projects at work, my computer was in the hospital for a week and then there’s this little Bronco “thing.” Ohmygosh, this town has gone wild. We’re heading for the Superbowl and it’s been all encompassing with watching games, talking about games, watching more games and preparing food for games. And now of course we’re all strategizing about how to beat Seattle. Us Bronco fans are great 12th men. Very fun times in Bronco Country.

I made these Stuffed Avocados last weekend and wanted to share the recipe with you in case you’re looking for something out of the ordinary, or a substitute for the standby guacamole for an appetizer for the big game. With just a little advanced prep of chopping and sauteeing, you can pop these in the oven for an easy, colorful and impressive appetizer for your Superbowl crowd.

Avocado Appetizer for Superbowl

These avocado halves are brushed with a flavorful vinaigrette, then filled with a savory chopped mushroom, onion, chile pepper and garlic mixture. I’ve got a stash of roasted Hatch chiles in the freezer. But if you don’t you can just use any canned chile of your choice or even fresh jalapeño or Anaheim chiles. Baked for fifteen minutes, they come out warm and creamy and can be served with flour tortillas or sturdy corn chips. I topped ours with a dollop of sour cream and a squeeze of lime and we dug in and loved every bite.

Stuffed Avocado Appetizer

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

A great substitution for guacamole for an appetizer.
Author:
Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: Mexican, Southwestern
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 1 t. red wine vinegar
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 avocados
  • For the filling:
  • 3 T. olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1½ cups button mushrooms, chopped
  • 2 Hatch chile, roasted, stems removed and chopped (or canned chiles)
  • 1 healthy pinch red pepper flakes or a few shakes of your favorite condiment to add spice and heat
  • 2 T. cilantro leaves, chopped
Instructions
  1. Make the dressing for the avocados: In a small bowl, add the olive oil, vinegar and lime juice and whisk until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Brush generously with the dressing allowing some to gather in the well of the avocado.
  3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet and sauté the onion over low heat until soft and golden. if using fresh chiles, devein, seed and fine chop. Add them to sauté with the onion. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and if using canned or roasted chiles, add them now and continue cooking and stirring until the mushrooms are browned. Stir in the cilantro and the hot spice and remove from heat.
  4. With a spoon, fill the avocados with the stuffing mixture. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 15 minutes.
  5. Serve with sour cream, warmed flour tortillas or sturdy corn chips. Spoons for scooping out the avocados.

Stuffed Avocado Appetizer…It’s what’s for a Superbowl Appetizer.

Go Broncos.

Comments

That’s the way I first baked avocados, was with eggs, and I really liked it. I’ll have to dig out that recipe, there was more to it that just eggs. Thanks Abbe.

This sounds really good and I have mushrooms, avocadoes and roasted Anaheim chilies galore im the freezer. Hope the Broncos kick butt! ( what Adam said)

I hope we kick butt too. I always hope for an exciting Superbowl, but for this one, I hope it’s boring and we’re far ahead in points. And I’m looking forward to Bruno Mars … kinda like that guy.

What a great idea.. and definitely a little off the beaten path.. I love that!!
    I have never been a Broncos fan… growing up in Nebraska liking any team from Colorado probably would have gotten you kicked out of the state… BUT, I am a HUGE Manning fan, so I’m hoping that they slaughter Seattle!!! :)
    Jenn recently posted…Grilled Sriracha Honey ChickenMy Profile

Lea Ann, I find it very funny that you are calling Karen a hopeless case. I think you a right. The city’s Bronco fever even got me infected, the German that has never ever seen a football game in person in a stadium. I have been watching almost all the games this season (I think I got the rules down, too!) and I am very excited about this year’s SuperBowl. I am sure you will be serving some wonderful appetizers for the fan crowd at your house. They will love your stuffed avocados. They look wonderful.
    Kirsten | My Kitchen in the Rockies recently posted…United in Orange – Homemade Organic Cheeze Its – Go Broncos!My Profile

Well don’t you agree? I mean really, home team heading for a big event like this? We’ll have to give her big trouble next time we see her. Thanks for stopping by and the comment. Go Broncos.

Erica, this is the first time I’ve made anything like this. I think the stuffing piece is so versitile. I look forward to coming up with more ideas.

Good Morning Lea Ann, Do you know I have never baked an avocado before, but your description of them sounds fabulous….. so guess what, for the first time ever, I am going to bake a few avocado and fill them with your delicious filling. I live in England, so it is English football which my husband loves, although he has watched and enjoyed American football when we visited Atlanta and he went to a Steelers game and thoroughly enjoyed it. He has since learnt the rules and can now follow a game.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

Hi Daphne. I was very leery the first time I baked an avocado. I honestly thought it sounded rather displeasing. But it’s really very good. I’m sure you can over bake them into something very undesirable, but it seem like 10-15 minutes is a good time. Thanks for stopping by.