Sweet and Sour, Grape Jelly Meatballs

Grape Jelly Meatballs

Meatballs full of flavor with a Grape Jelly and Chili Sauce Glaze.

Tis the season for appetizer, small bite, tapas gatherings.  My favorite kind of parties.

I’m sure this post finds you hustling and bustling and enjoying the Holiday time of year. This week has been a whirlwind in our world. It started last Saturday with our office party. A wonderful traditional Italian meal at a co-worker’s home. Then an ornament exchange party at my friend Heather’s. Her table was filled with wonderful food and I thought the highlight was her spicy glazed ham = omg. Then there was that Thursday Night Bronco game….boo-hoo, the Grinch came early to Denver. And of course there’s that shopping “thing”.

Friday night found us glued to the television saddened and horrified for our community, watching yet another school shooting incident unfold, and so very close to home. I was less than a mile away and watched as the army of police vehicles, ambulances, swat team crews, and television stations rushed up University Boulevard in an impressive response.

I’ve simply had no time to blog.

Meatballs Appetizer Recipe

Being in a Holiday party frame of mind, I’m also in the appetizer frame of mind so a Googleing I went.  Enjoy. And if you’re like me, it’s one of those things you can’t stop eating.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Sweet and Sour, Grape Jelly Glaze
Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: American
  • 1 jar (12 oz) (340 gm) chili sauce
  • 1 jar 12 oz) (340 gm) grape jelly (jam)
  • Juice of one lemon
  1. In a large pot, combine the chili sauce, grape jelly and lemon juice.
  2. Heat this mixture over medium heat until the jelly melts and everything begins to incorporate.
  3. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for at least 30 minutes, until the meatballs are heated through
  4. This recipe is very, very adaptable. If you don’t have chili sauce, use ketchup. Or cocktail sauce. Don’t have a lemon? Use a lime! Want some added kick? Add a splash or two of teriyaki sauce (yum. I promise.). Be adventurous with your flavor of jam, if you want. You can also choose to cook the meatballs in the sauce rather than adding them in after they are cooked – whatever you choose. We always served these over rice, but they make great appetizer meatballs, or can be served however you prefer.

I used my basic meatball recipe:
5.0 from 1 reviews
Sweet and Sour, Grape Jelly Meatballs
  • 3 pounds extra lean ground beef
  • 13 ounces evaporated milk
  • 2 wholes eggs, lightly beaten
  • ½ t. pepper
  • 1 t. salt
  • 2 C. saltine crackers, crushed or 2 C. Old Fashioned Oats
  • 1 whole onion, fine diced
  • ½ clove garlic, fine diced
  • 2 t. chili powder
  1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and form into meatballs. Bake on a cookie sheet treated with non-stick spray. 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. Makes about 40 meatballs.

Sweet and Sour, Grape Jelly Meatballs…They’re what’s for an Appetizer.

What an interesting combination of flavors in the meatballs. I would have been baffled about “just grape jelly.” I love little bites like this.

We too have been horrified by all of the shootings. I didn’t realize that one in Denver was so near you. That must have been scary. I just read this morning there was one in the Short Hills Mall in NJ, near where my husband grew up. Something has to be done to stop this.
    Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen recently posted…Remembering Foleys and Their Fabulous Cheese SpreadsMy Profile

Sam, it was pretty heart stopping to be so close to scene and the activity while this was all unfolding. Your heart is in your throat, to say the least.

Oh, yay! I am so glad that you found, made and enjoyed these meatballs! We love them – they are such a treat!
    Watching the news is such a sad and scary thing these days. Wishing you, your community and the world peace.
    Shelley C recently posted…Chai Spiced SconesMy Profile

Rebekah, those little dishes are actually oyster appetizer plates, at least that’s what the store told me when I bought them. Thanks for stopping by and the comment!

Boo hooo for the Broncos game too. It was just so bad of the Grinch! And off late Colorado is in news for all wrong reasons.. Hoping the state and its people catch a break and have some peaceful times. Oh and winning the super bowl would be just the kind of news we like to be in :)

I am thinking this grape jelly will be exquisite on paneer. Lovely photos as usual.
    Ansh | Spiceroots recently posted…Bean and Quinoa ChilliMy Profile

I’m still hopeful for a trip to the Super Bowl. I agree that’s just what Colorado needs. And I’m loving that Paneer idea Ansh. I drizzled melted cheese over the top for leftovers.

I can remember making something very similar years ago and it was a big hit. I’m not sure why I stopped making them. Probably, too many new recipes to try :) They sound delicious!

Wow, that shooting really was close. So sad and scary!
    Susan recently posted…Brussels Sprouts SouffléMy Profile

That’s the sad thing about our love for food. We’re always making something new and the oldie but goodies get lost in the shuffle. Thanks for stopping by and the comment.

ha ha, didn’t see this when I made my comment on the Apple on Horseback post. I remember the first time I came across meatballs like this. It was a Christmas office party at Winn-Dixie Stores Jacksonville Division office. I remember thinking, who in their right mind puts meatballs in grape jelly? Then I found out it is a thing.
    Chris recently posted…Mustard Glazed Smoked Bratwurst with Chow-ChowMy Profile

Well I’m so glad you stopped by! And thanks for the comment. I agree about that lemon juice. When I reheated them, I stirred in a tad of Dijon. That made for a great flavor combo too.

I had a version of these too, at a wedding years ago. But my source shared her recipe. It was my Aunt Pat and I still make her meatballs. The difference from yours is that she used a can of jellied cranberry sauce instead of grape jelly. I love, love your photo! I am having all kinds of problems with photography lately because of lighting issues. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family Lea Ann.
    Penny recently posted…Cauliflower GratinMy Profile

Since I’ve made this recipe, I’ve seen a couple of versions with cranberry. Sounds good to me. Lighting issues are always my frustration. Sometimes I just don’t get it.

Lea Ann, I’m so glad you’re not “one of those” who doesn’t share recipes….because this one sounds fantastic. I love the combination of flavors- wouldn’t this be fun for a New Year’s Eve party? I’m thinking yes. :)
    Joy @ Yesterfood recently posted…Tres Leches CakeMy Profile

I thought of you immediately when I heard of that shooting. How scary!
    Your beautiful photo makes me want to grab one of those succulent little bites! In Texas people made a much less elegant version that was cocktail sausages cooked in a crockpot with jar of grape jelly . . . . went by the lovely name of Grape Wienies. (that name makes you want a bite, doesn’t it?)
    Hugs and Merry Christmas!

Making those grape wienies very soon! My personal shopper came home with this huge jar of grape jelly that’s clogging up the fridge. Gotta make something with it. :)