My Secret for Great Chicken Pot Pie

The secret to chicken pot pit

My secret for a great Chicken Pot Pie, is to ask my friend Cauleen for her secret. Cauleen makes the best Chicken Pot Pie I’ve ever had. It was tradition that every Halloween she invited us over for Chicken Pot Pies and tricks and treats. Cauleen and Greg moved to Chicago this past Summer but I wasn’t going to let that cheat me out of my holiday Chicken Pot Pie. Full of vegetables, perfect in texture, tender chicken breast and a flaky crust…what’s her secret?  I got her on the phone for a little interrogation.

The secret to reliable and flavorful chicken pot pie

Her secret is to cover whole bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts in salted water and simmer until almost done. She removes the chicken to a cutting board and reserves the flavorful brothy water to simmer the vegetables until tender crisp. If you’ve got a perfect no-fail pie crust, then all the better, but she uses Pillsbury crusts from the refrigerator section of the grocery store. And with Halloween falling on a weeknight this year, I opted for the easy purchased crusts, as well. Brushing a little butter over the top of the crust before baking made for a golden and flaky topping for the pie.

I’ve never made chicken pot pie in my life, and I was very pleased with my first efforts and duplicating her recipe.  Thank you Cauleen for sharing your recipe.

5.0 from 3 reviews

• 1 T. Chicken Bouillon
  • 4 T. Butter
  • 4 T. Flour
  • 1½ C. milk
  • Chicken broth for consistency
  • Season with:
  • ½ t. each marjoram, thyme and sage
Instructions
  1. Cover the chicken breasts in water. Add the chicken bouillon. Bring to a simmer and cook until almost done. Remove the chicken breast to a cutting board. When cooled, remove skin and shred meat from the bone. Set aside.
  2. Bringing the water to a 2nd boil, add the vegetables and cook until almost tender. With a slotted spoon remove the vegetables to a plate.
  3. In the meantime melt butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and simmer, stirring, until the mixture starts to brown. About 3-4 minutes. Warm milk in the microwave for about a minute and add to the mixture. Stir constantly until the gravy thickens. Add some chicken broth water to bring the mixture to a perfect creamy consistency. I added about ½ cup or more. Stirring. Adjust seasonings to your taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
  4. In the meantime, roll out 2 crusts and form them into 2 deep dish pie plates. With a fork, poke holes in the pie crusts. Top with a layer of chicken and a layer of the vegetables. Pour the gravy over the chicken and vegetables to almost the top of the pie dish. Unroll two more crusts and place them over the mixture. Crimp the edges, and cut 6 slits in the top of the crust. Brush with melted butter. I had a small amount of veggies and chicken left over.
  5. Bake 350 degreed 40 - 45 minutes.

Chicken Pot Pie…It’s what’s for Dinner.

Comments

I love chicken pot pie too. In England I learned to love their chicken, bacon and mushroom version that is quite saucy. I could curl up on the sofa and eat a whole pan of either one. Now you’ve started a craving!

I laughed because my first thought was this: my secret to chicken pot pie is to buy it from Costco! Terrible I know but I purchased one from the fresh foods dept once to take to a neighbor and she raved about how good it was. I had to fess up that I hadn’t made it from scratch! I haven’t purchased one myself because they are HUGE there and it would take me two weeks to eat. Love making this at home and will do so again soon thanks to your reminder.

3. Cauleen says

Well done!!! So proud. I made it for Halloween and it’s just not the same without my favorite people to share it with.

Such a great tradition- chicken pot pie for Halloween and you crack me up -I agree you should not be cheated out of your chicken pot pie just because your friend moved away!!!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe -it looks scrumptious and a definite keeper ;)

I do like a good chicken pot pie! My brother was visiting me last week from Houston and a chicken pot pie was his request. I too like to use bone in breasts, much more flavourful.
    Yours looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing the secret :)

It’s interesting, growing up in Kansas I never had Chicken Pot Pie. I was surprised at how nervous I was making it for the first time. I’m sure you could teach me how. Thanks Claire, for stopping by and the comment.

Mmm…Chicken pot pie used to be my favorite comfort food. It’s been a while since I last had it. This must change. I normally just use rotisserie chicken but simmering it in salt water and using that broth to cook the veggies = ingenious! Thank you for sharing the tip!

Thank you Jenn. I agree, it’s usually so runny that I’m not sure that’s it’s a soup. I like the firmer version. Yet still creamy and wonderful.

Yay for refrigerator pie crusts….that’s one shortcut I never feel guilty about! My potpies are almost always made from leftovers, but I love the tip of using the chicken water to cook the veggies!

I agree Rhonda. Love those purchased pie crusts. Even though my mother was the queen of her homemade “no fail pie crusts”… Thanks for stopping by.

Chicken pot pie is a staple in our home, Lea Ann. In the colder months of the year, we enjoy them at least once a month for sure! Sadly, though, I’ve never made them from scratch and have always bought the frozen brands. I simply must bake them with your recipe and experience the true deliciousness of one of my family’s favorite dishes! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
    Hugs,