Peggy’s Paparitos for SRC Reveal

Breakfast Burritos

It’s time for the September Secret Recipe Club Reveal. This month I was assigned to Sid’s Sea Palm Cooking Blog. While browsing Sid’s recipes, one thing I quickly learned is that Sid loves to share good food with friends. Hosting a monthly Tapas night and once a month attending a boat club pot luck gathering, it becomes evident that the saying “enough food to feed an army” comes to reality. I really enjoyed reading about the feast of food that appears at these events and found some great entertaining ideas.

Secret Recipe Club

Since my freezer contains a virtual frozen Fiesta, I headed directly for the “Mexican” category. The list of recipes found me pinning things I want to make soon, Navajo Tacos, pot luck Southwestern Casserole, and curiosity got the best of me when I saw Peggy’s Paparitos. The description of warm flour tortillas filled with savory sausage, creamy stir-fried potatoes, chile peppers and then topped with cheese and popped under the broiler for a melted treat…my selection had been made.

Here’s the description of how Sid came across Peggy’s Paparito’s: “A few years back I had the pleasure of meeting and making friends with a lovely lady named Peggy. She was a transplanted Texan, and loved all things Tex-Mex. She gave me the following recipe, and it ranks right up there with all the other Tex-Mex foods I love.”

Peggy’s Paparito’s were absolutely delicious and we loved every bite. Simple ingredients turned into a surprising combination of textures and flavors.

Thanks so much for this Tex-Mex dish Sid, what a great Sunday dish to celebrate Fall and football.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Peggy's Paparito's

Author:
Recipe type: Dinner
Cuisine: Mexican
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 10 small new potatoes, sliced with skins on, boiled, then fried in a combination of butter and olive oil
  • 4 patties sage sausage
  • 5 eggs
  • 2 whole poblano peppers, roasted, peeled
  • ½ cup cheddar cheese, crumbled
  • Flour tortilla’s
Instructions
  1. Cut the small potatoes in half. In a saucepan, boil water and add potatoes. Cook until almost firm.
  2. In a Dutch oven, heat oil and butter. When hot, add potatoes and stir fry for a few minutes. Add sausage and cook until sausage is browned. Add eggs and mix until eggs are scrambled.
  3. Preheat the oven to broil.
  4. Lay out a flour tortilla and spoon on the potato/sausage/egg mixture. Blanket the mixture with the roasted poblano peppers.
  5. Fold the tortillas. Cover generously with the grated cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and tortillas are starting to brown. Serve immediately.

Peggy’s Paparitos…It’s What’s for Dinner.

Also sharing this with Table For Seven’s Linky Party Share Your Stuff Tuesdays.

Comments

We love Tex-Mex, but don’t eat it often anymore. It’s not easy to find good Mexican food here and I hardly ever make it at home. Looks like you and Sid are on to some good things with this yummy paparito. It would suit me just find for breakfast this morning.

We don’t have a good Mexican restaurant in Denver. A bunch of us were just talking about that on Sunday. Even our Tex-Mex restaurants are not impressive.

Mmmmm, you know my Tex-Mex lovin’ heart is yearning for these now. I make something similar to these with just different potatoes. What a great recipe to choose. You can’t go wrong with a good old breakfast taco in the morning or anytime.for that matter.

Thanks for the kind words about the Paparito’s. They are one of our favorite breakfasts. Hmmm, in fact I think I’ll head down to the freezer and take some out right now. I usually cook the potatoes/sausage/chile mixture and then freeze it in 2 serving batches, so easy to pull out of the freezer and mix with some fresh eggs and have a quick breakfast.

That dish sounds tempting to make for the big game a week from today. I am kind of dreading all the shots of Elway in the Booth. We may have to make a drinking game with it. When they show Elway you have to take a drink. That will be a buzzkill.

I’ve not heard that saying before Larry, but as bad as I hate June bugs, I’m glad ducks gobble them up. And I must say, I behaved that way eating these. They were good.

I’ve never heard of paparitos and like saying the name so much I think I’d love to eat this meal too! I am determined to make my own tortillas soon, following Yvette and her mother’s recipe. This would be a nice way to use them.

Hi Lea Ann! Nice choice on the SRC! These paparitos look delicious, I haven’t heard of them before, but I could easily put away a few!
    I just wanted to say “hi!” from a fellow Denver blogger, I am up in Broomfield.

Nazneen

Thanks so much for stopping by and saying hello. Heading over to your site to take a look around. Always great to find a fellow Colorado blogger. I’ve never heard of Paparitos either, they were easy and delicious.

Potatoes, sausage, chilies and all that cheese broiled in (my favorite part is that it’s broiled til bubbly) . . . looks and sounds delicious. Yum!!