Hot Dogs, Top Dogs and a Denver Dog

Buffalo Hot Dog

Buffalo, Jalapeño, Cheddar Smoked Bratwurst topped with grilled onions and mustard.

No doubt about it, Americans love their hot dogs.

According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council (NHDSC) Americans are expected to eat 150 million hot dogs over the July 4th holiday alone, part of the seven billion hot dogs eaten from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

That’s a lot of dogs. I happen to be a big fan of hot dogs and will probably consume a dozen or more of those seven billion over the Summer. Mine will most likely be topped with mustard only or perhaps a dollop of chow-chow, but there are folks in states and cities across our country who have claim to fame over their v-e-r-y own dog. It makes me sad that there’s no Denver Dog, especially since it has such a nice ring to it.  And I mean c’mon even Seattle has a dog….and with cream cheese, at that??? ::::raising eyebrows.  Let’s take a look at that list:

Arizona Dog: Wrapped in bacon and grilled; topped with pinto beans, chopped onion, tomatoes, jalapeños, mustard and mayo.

Boston Dog: Topped with baked beans, ketchup, mustard, relish and chopped onion.

Chicago Dog: Loaded up with sliced tomato, minched onion, sweet relish, a pickle spear and mustard; a poppy seed bun is traditional, celery salt is optional.

Cincinnati Dog: Ridiculous amounts of Cincinnati-style chili and shredded Cheddar cheese, plus yellow mustard and chopped onion.

Los Angeles Dog: Topped with chili sauce, onion and mustard; crispy bacon optional.

Milwaukee Dog: Grilled bratwurst topped with sauerkraut and spicy German mustard.

New York Dog: Kosher-style, all beef dog topped with sauerkraut or onions and spicy mustard.

Philadelphia Dog: Grilled, split dog topped with melted cheese; often called a Texas Tommy.

Seattle Dog: Grilled, split dog stuffed into a bun slathered with cream cheese.

Southern Dawg: Coleslaw, coleslaw, coleslaw; chili and sweet relish are popular too.

Texas Dog: Barbeque sauce or chili; melted cheese and jalapenos optional.

Buffalo Hot Dogs

To add a bit of regional flare to my Holiday dog, I’ve chosen a Buffalo, Jalapeno, Cheddar Smoked Bratwurst from a Denver based company, Continental Sausage. Simply topped with some grilled onions and mustard, I’m feeling very Denver patriotic proud right now.

Happy Holiday.  May your parade be filled with marching bands, politicians, classic cars, beauty queens and Shriners on scooters, and may your picnics be filled with lots of hot dogs, potato and pasta salads and watermelon.

Buffalo Jalapeño Cheddar Smoked Bratwurst…It’s What’s for the 4th of July!

Comments

Happy 4th of July Lea Ann! These dogs look wonderful. I’ve got a freezer full of hot dogs and not a buffalo dog in the bunch, darn it! Even though I do like chli, cheese and onions, my favorite way to eat them is just with a bit of mustard in the stands at a ball game.

Happy 4th to you also Karen. I’m a mustard only on hot dogs and hamburgers. Unless I’m making a special burger like the bbq,bacon burger like is sold at our ball stand. omg

That looks so delicious – I would love to taste the buffalo Denver Dog! That photo is gorgeous, too. I want some of those b&w basket liners. One last thing – I cannot tell you how much I love that Chidawgo Mustard I won from your giveaway. It’s my favorite topping on a dog.

I’m out of that Chidawgo mustard. Must pick some up at the Farmer’s market tomorrow. Those liners are waxy tissue paper from the gift wrap aisle at the Container Store.

And on the 4th of our July!!! :) I’m actually not a fan of Bavarian to begin with. Isn’t that the one with caraway seeds? Which I don’t like.

I’d love to try a Buffalo beef-based hot dog any day Lea Ann! Kudos for you to create a hot dog so unique to Denver!!! My favorite thus far (not including your Denver dog) is the Chicago hot dog that I’ve been enjoying since first bite in 1989 (in Phoenix of all places!). We grilled hot dogs and bratswurst and were totally traditional. Hope you enjoyed your 4th! It downpoured here 3 separate times on the 4th, so it was a delightful indoor, in the AC, watch everything on the tube day!

xoxo
    Roz

I’m always open to new ingredients. I see no reason why I wouldn’t love buffalo dogs. We went the fried chicken route for the holiday, but I’m going to seek these out and give them a shot. Have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Mary, it’s always good to hear from you thanks for the comment. I did fried chicken the weekend before … it’s an indulgence. :) Especially when there’s lots of gravy ivolved.

I love these buffalo brats!! Buy them at Costco. I don’t like other fatty types of brats but these lean mean spicy cheesy brats have my name all over them. We like them cut on a bias then browned all over and served over Mac n cheese. Your look yummy