Feta and Caramelized Onion Crusted Steaks
Usually when I grill a steak, it’s just with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Sometimes Montreal Steak Seasoning. When I saw this recipe with onions, feta and Panko, I knew I had landed on something special. And special it was. This is delicious, and easy. Before I even started the grill, I caramelized the onions and set them aside. While the steak was grilling, I completed the crust mixture and assembled one of my favorite tossed salads, Tree House Salad. The sweetness of the onions, the salty feta and the crunch of Panko bread crumbs made this a great little Summer Meal. Thanks for the recipe Amy.
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 ½ lb top sirloin steak, cut into 4 pieces
- ⅓ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- Salt & pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and stir to coat. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and continue cooking and stirring frequently until the onions have reached a deep amber color, 30-40 minutes. Place the onions in a small bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter in a large oven proof skillet over medium heat. Season the steaks generously with salt and pepper on both sides, then add to the heated butter.
- Brown the steaks for 5 minutes on each side.
- While the steaks cook, add the panko and feta to the caramelized onions and stir to mix.
- Top the browned steaks with the feta and onion mixture (if your skillet is not broiler/oven proof, transfer to steaks to a baking sheet first).
- Place the coated steaks 4-6 inches under the broiler and cook for 3-5 minutes or until cooked to desired doneness.
Feta and Caramelized Onion Crusted Steaks…It’s What’s for Dinner.