Our good friends, Greg and Cauleen and their two boys Connor and Cameron are moving to Chicago. :::insert wail here. Greg is already there and working at his new position at MileNorth Hotel in Downtown Chicago.
With our days numbered for seeing our friends and neighbors on a regular basis, I invited Cauleen and the boys over for a casual Summer dinner.
How about this for a classic kid friendly dinner. Grilled Hebrew National Hot Dogs, (mustard only for me please), Classic Macaroni Salad and a wedge of watermelon. Sounds like Summer to me. For dessert we had banana splits and I’d like to report that no bananas were harmed in the eating of that dessert. The boys ate the cherries, the whipped cream, the three scoops of ice cream…and left the banana halves on the bottom of the bowl. Cracked me up. I was having so much fun that I failed to drag the camera out.
I’ve had this Classic Macaroni Salad recipe as long as I can remember, and it brings back so many Summertime pot luck and picnic memories from my childhood. Here’s the recipe.
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 C. mayonnaise
- ¼ C. white vinegar
- ⅓ C. organic sugar
- 2½ T. yellow mustard
- 1½ t. salt
- ½ t. pepper
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, thin sliced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped. I used orange and the recipe calls for green
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 small jar pimentos, drained
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni, and cook according to package directions.. Rinse under cold water and drain.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, carrot, pimentos and macaroni.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving, but preferably overnight.
On this day..
- Shrimp Remoulade, A Pappas Brothers Texas Recipe - 2012
- Seared Scallops with Pinot Gris Butter Sauce - 2011
- Asian Chicken Salad with Wasabi Dressing - 2010
- NoNo's Cafe - 2009