Chicken Salad with Strawberries and Red Onions.
Have I ever told you that I live five minutes from where I work? OK, during a snow storm, it’s probably seven. And if I hit the stop light at Highlands Ranch Parkway, that will add an extra minute to the calculations. How far do you commute to work?
This was an easy dinner because I came home at lunch, put two small boneless/skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot at about 11:30. I ate lunch, made the dressing for salad, spent time on social media and was back at work by 12:30 (ish).
With the crockpot set on high, the chicken breasts were done when I left work at 5:25, arriving home at 5:30. (Yay for the green light at Highlands Ranch Parkway.)
Placing the chicken breasts on a cutting board to cool while I assembled the rest of the ingredients, dinner was on the table at 6:20. Actually it would have been on the table at 5:45 but a glass of wine with feet propped up on the coffee table delayed the process. Priorities.
Fresh and healthy with chicken, strawberries, celery, red onion, and raisins all piled on top of butter lettuce. Let’s take a look:
- 2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
- 2 cups quartered small strawberries (about 1 pint)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped celery
- ⅓ cup sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups butter lettuce
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine sesame seeds and next 6 ingredients (sesame seeds through pepper) in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Pour over chicken mixture; toss well to coat. Cover and chill for about 30 minutes. (I didn't do this step) Serve over salad greens.
Chicken Salad with Strawberries…It’s What’s for Dinner.