Steak and Potato Omelet

Left over steak and potatoes for an omelet

Not exactly a super model dish to photograph…using leftovers, this Steak and Potato Omelet made for a delicious Sunday breakfast.

I had some flank steak from our Thursday’s Steak with Garlic Butter dinner. An extra baked potato that didn’t get eaten that was a side dish for Saturday’s Grilled Herb Shrimp recipe that I found over at Spice Roots. Ansh is a friend and fellow Colorado Blogger. So Sunday’s breakfast was a steak and potato omelet. Ansh, I must report, the shrimp recipe was so good, there were no leftovers at all.

I decided on a three egg omelet for my two egg omelet pan so the eggs would hold up to the heavy steak and potato pieces. I thin sliced the steak against the grain as thin as I could possibly get it. Same with the cooked potato, as thin as I could without the potato slices falling apart.

Whisking the eggs with salt, pepper, milk and a sprinkle of Emeril Essence seasoning, I poured it into the omelet pan prepped with sizzling unsalted butter. Swirling the pan Julia Child style, the eggs were somewhat set when I sprinkled in the cold steak and potato pieces. Moving the pan a few more times, the egg mixture that was still moist, swirled around the potatoes and steak warming them as the mixture set up. I quickly added some shredded cheese and then folded into omelet shape. Turning the heat to the lowest setting, I covered the omelet and let it steam for about two minutes before cutting it in half and serving on plates. Bob and I shared the omelet.

It was hearty, savory and cheesy and the steak and potato combo went well with the delicate eggs. And actually, it seemed more like a fluffy frittata than an omelet. It was a great way to use up left overs who were freeloading in the fridge.

Steak and Potato Omelet … It’s What’s for Sunday Breakfast.

Comments

Who cares about the pic – I’ve never eaten one – it’s the taste that counts and I think it sounds delicious – I did consider licking the picture however.

This is a nice way to repurpose your leftovers. I think omelets are kind of the blank canvas of cooking. Throw anything you want in them and they are usually delicious.

What a hearty breakfast! I love leftovers and leftover makeovers. Your post has given me a lot of ideas for the leftover boiled potatoes I have from making Alu Paratha.

I am happy to see your report for the shrimp ! I can’t take credit for the shrimp recipe – it was Ina all the way. What’s on the menu for the snow day?

I know it was an Ina recipe, but you executed it and took some beautiful photos. My photos of the shrimp aren’t publishable. But anyway, it was a wonderful meal. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Our snow day dinner was bbq crock pot chicken sandwiches. How about you?

This is indeed a great way to use up bits of this and that that aren’t enough for a meal on their own. Some of my favorite dishes are made with leftovers. I’m not a breakfast eater but enjoy a leisurely brunch on Sundays. Love this dish, Lea Ann.

What a delicious idea – Sundays are often an omelet or frittata day for us as well. I don’t know why I never thought of using steak. It looks deeeelicious!

Nice to roll up in a burrito, too! Whenever I cook potatoes, I make a few extra then put them in the fridge to use in dishes like this.

That is a great sounding omelet. I’ve never put steak in one, can you believe that? I usually like it with a fried egg instead but I like your idea.

Lisa, I intentionally cooked more potatoes to go with the left over steak, and asked myself the same thing. Why don’t I do that more often?