Mike Lamp’s Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti

Pistachio and cranberry biscotti

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti. Our friend Mike makes the best.

We met Mike Lamp through our mutual friends, Greg and Cauleen and got to know him at gatherings at their house. Gatherings like the annual New Year’s Day pork and sauerkraut celebration, the Halloween night chicken pot pie event, and the annual Easter egg hunt and ham extravaganza. All of us invited bring something to add to the meal, and it’s always a treat to see what Mike brings. He has a knack of picking something impressive and creative which he crafts perfectly leading all of us to quickly gather round the platter for the traditional viewing and the culinary explanation behind his creation.

appetizer using orange slices

I rest my case with this photo of his swoon-worthy chocolate dipped candied orange peel that he brought one holiday. And this past January he showed up with a container of homemade biscotti. Loaded with dried cranberries and pistachios and spiked with the zest of an orange and almond exract, it was hands down the best biscotti I’ve ever tasted. Mike revealed that the recipe came from Williams and Sonoma, but I couldn’t find a link to lead to the recipe.  Let’s take a look.

pistachio and cranberry biscotti

Biscotti is a fairly uncomplicated project, combining flour and butter, fruit and nuts and shaping into logs before baking.

slicing pistachio and cranberry biscotti

Biscotti gets it’s signature texture from a double bake. After they come out of the oven, use a serrated knife and slice on the diagional.  Lay the pieces flat and pop them back into the oven for a 2nd bake.

cooling homemade pistachio and cranberry biscotti.

Cool biscotti on a wire rack and then store in air tight containers for two weeks worth of treats to enjoy with your morning coffee. This recipe was easy enough for even me the non-baker to make. Thanks for tip on a great recipe Mike.

Mike Lamp NPR radio host

This photo comes from the  CPR web site. Mike Lamp is an award winning journalist and currently the morning host of Colorado Public Radio’s news service. He produces interviews heard on “Morning Edition” and “All Things Considered”.

You can always tell a good recipe by it’s tell-tale wear and tear use.  Cauleen shared her copy with me.

Mikes Biscotti

Mike Lamp’s Pistachio and Cranberry Biscotti…It’s What’s for Coffee…

Comments

1. Nancy says

This looks good enough to serve for a birthday!! Bet it travels well…you know…like if you wanted to send it to a friend or something.

What a pretty looking treat. I’ve never made biscotti although I have threatened to many times. This recipe just might be inspiration I need to get with it.

Did you know that cranberry pistachio is my favorite biscotti flavor combo?? Seriously..!! Thank you for posting this… now, I just need to find the courage to make them myself!! :)

Love everything about this including it’s so much prettier than the usual biscotti. A must try for sure! I haven’t made biscotti in a long time but I do remember that I was very impressed with how easy it was and how well it turned out.

I just made biscotti today too since our family is coming over this weekend and my SIL loves biscotti and a little Vin Santo for his dessert after dinner. I make a very traditional Italian version with almonds but I would love to try this fruit and pistachio-studded version. It’s beautiful too!

I have a favorite cranberry & walnut biscotti. I’ll have to give this recipe a try to see if it beats it ;) I always think W-S recipes sound so good!

How lucky to have such a wonderful friend. That candied orange with dipped chocolate makes me drool, and have a biscotti fanatic friend who’ll love this recipe.

Absolutely wonderful, Lea Ann. I’m saving this for the holidays. WS has fab recipes, I adore their Butternut Squash soup recipe…use it every Thanksgiving.

I’ve never made biscotti before, but you make it sound so easy.

The recipe makes me sad because I lost the handwritten copy of the first BBQ sauce I ever had that my deceased grandmother gave me. It is somewhere in this house on a 3 x 5 notecard. I know the recipe but I want the handwritten one.

I am so impressed with this one – such a beautiful treat! You can bet I’ll be making these next time my kids come for a visit. Gorgeous photos!

Thanks Claudia! It’s a flavorful recipe. I just had to make it as soon as I tasted what Mike brought to the party. Thanks for stopping by and the comment.