Quick, easy, cheap and tasty!
- The marinade of spices, orange and lime juice comes together easily.
- While the steaks are soaking you can slice the peppers and onions.
- Cube steaks cook up in less than five minutes.
And voila…you’re eating dinner before Alex Trebek has had a chance to announced the categories.
Let’s take a look:
Cube Steak with Lime Mojo
Author: Fine Cooking
Recipe type: Entree
- 8 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- Kosher salt
- 1-1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice (from about 4 medium limes)
- ½ cup fresh orange juice (from about 1 large orange)
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 4 beef cube steaks (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lb. total)
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- ½ large white onion, thinly sliced
- ½ large red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- In a mortar, lightly crush the garlic with a pestle. Sprinkle with 2 tsp. salt and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the oregano, cumin, and ½ tsp. black pepper and mash until a paste forms. Transfer to a medium bowl and add the lime juice, orange juice, and sugar; whisk until well combined.
- Lay the steaks in a 9×13-inch glass or ceramic dish and pour the garlic mixture (the mojo) over them. Let the steaks marinate for no more than 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook, stirring constantly until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the steaks to the pan along with 2 Tbs. of the mojo (discard the rest). Cook for 2 minutes, flip, add the onions and peppers, cover, and cook for 1 minute more. Uncover and continue cooking until the meat is just cooked through, about 2 minutes more.
- Serve the steaks topped with the onions, peppers, and a drizzle of the cooked mojo.
Cube Steak with Lime Mojo…It’s What’s for Dinner.