Quick, easy, cheap and tasty! Cube Steak with Lime Mojo is a great little weeknight dinner.
- The marinade of spices, orange and lime juice comes together easily.
- While the steaks are soaking you can slice the peppers and onions.
- Cube steaks cook up in less than five minutes.
And voila…you’re eating dinner before Alex Trebek has had a chance to announced the categories.
Let’s take a look:
An easy weeknight beef dinner recipe. With a Mexican flair.
- 8 cloves garlic medium sized, peeled
- Kosher salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano fine chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice from about 4 medium limes
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice from about 1 large orange
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 beef cube steaks 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 pounds total
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 large white onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper cored and thinly sliced
In a mortar, lightly crush the garlic with a pestle. Sprinkle with 2 tsp. salt and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the oregano, cumin, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper and mash until a paste forms. Transfer to a medium bowl and add the lime juice, orange juice, and sugar; whisk until well combined.
Lay the steaks in a 9x13-inch glass or ceramic dish and pour the garlic mixture (the mojo) over them. Let the steaks marinate for no more than 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook, stirring constantly until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the steaks to the pan along with 2 Tbs. of the mojo (discard the rest). Cook for 2 minutes, flip, add the onions and peppers, cover, and cook for 1 minute more. Uncover and continue cooking until the meat is just cooked through, about 2 minutes more.
Serve the steaks topped with the onions, peppers, and a drizzle of the cooked mojo.
Cube Steak with Lime Mojo…It’s What’s for Dinner.