Butterfinger Cake

Oh look! I baked.

Well, if preheating my oven and using a cake mix counts? This is a super easy cake with a caramel filling and a topping of whipped cream and crushed Butterfinger candy bars that will have your crowd stampeding to the table.

Before we get to the goodies…I’d like to ask you a question. When was the last time you browsed the cake mix aisle at the grocery store? It’s been while for me and I don’t know if it’s just my Safeway, or if the companies that produce cake mixes have cut way back. Where I normally would find the aisle brimming white, yellow, chocolate and multiple flavored versions of each of these, I was met with a very minimal selection. And no German Chocolate at all. I also just read that canned soup sales are down by 13% over the past decade so Campbell’s Soups are closing two plants. Could it be that consumers are actually steering clear of the processed food aisles?

Our annual beet pickling extravaganza over at friends Greg and Cauleen house also falls around the celebration of their son’s birthday.

My contribution to the event this year included a crockpot full of Sloppy Joe’s

A Buzz Lightyear action figure that makes a bunch of racket…

And this Chocolate Butterfinger birthday cake for Connor’s fourth birthday.

This recipe comes from my family cookbook that I published about ten years ago. It was a contribution from my cousin P.J. It’s easy to make since everything comes from the processed food aisles.

It’s so easy. A German Chocolate cake mix is baked according to package instructions, then poked full of holes and drizzled with a combination of sweet condensed milk and caramel sauce letting it ooze down in…it’s then topped with a generous layer of Cool Whip and and crushed Butterfinger candy bars.

Voila, you have a cake that is DEElicious…and to quote Mr. Buzz one that takes you “to infinity and beyond!”

Butterfinger Cake

Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Ingredients
  • 1 box German chocolate cake mix (or chocolate)
  • 1 bottle caramel topping
  • 1 can Condensed milk
  • 1 large tub cool whip
  • 1 Butterfinger bar
Instructions
  1. Prepare cake according to package directions. Remove cake from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Poke several holes in the cake using toothpicks, a wooden grill skewer or a fork. Mix sweetened condensed milk and caramel together, pour over cake, spreading over the entire surface. Chill well. Spread cool whip over the top and sprinkle crushed Butterfinger bar.

Butterfinger Chocolate Cake…It’s What’s for a Birthday Party.

Comments

The cake looks moist and delicious LA and I like this topping better than the usual for German chocolate cake – I ate a lot of butterfingers in my youth.

• Lea Ann says

I liked Butterfingers as a kid. Those and Heath bars. I think candy bars taste different these day. Too sweet. I blame it on corn syrup.

I haven’t noticed much of a decline in processed foods in our grocery stores… but maybe there is something to what you are seeing. Maybe people are realizing from scratch, although not as convenient, is much better for us. Who knows, shopping trends are hard to determine sometimes.
    This cake sounds amazing… but how can you go wrong with butterfingers???

I do know what you mean about the cake mix aisle. It is slim pickins around here too. I don’t buy them often them but every now and then I need a red velvet cupcake and a mix is the least expensive way of making them. My oh my, we will be trying this soon.

I do think people in Colorado are more health-conscious than many other states so I’m not surprised.

Butterfingers are one of my all time favorite candy bars so this sounds absolutely delicious to me! I usually buy some once a year – at Halloween so I can eat the left-overs :)

• Lea Ann says

I agree with our health conscious state. Visitors always notice and comment about that subject. I thought the cake was timely for those Halloween candy leftovers. :)

Everyone will be sneaking the Butterfingers out of their kids Halloween haul to make this cake! :) And actually, it wouldn’t be too difficult to make this from scratch, minus the Butterfingers. Hummm, may have to give it a try…

Well now I know exactly what candy I am going to encourage my kids to choose tomorrow night– butterfingers!! One of my son’s won’t eat candy so he shares all of his goodies with me. This cake looks great!

• Lea Ann says

You don’t need to know Axelle … just use your favorite chocolate cake recipe. It is easy and it’s a kid/crowd pleaser.

You know I’m not much of a dessert eater, but this sounds so good I might be tempted. My guys would devour this in a couple of days. I’m interested in the beet picking extravaganza. I’ve only grown beets a couple of times and didn’t have that much success. Loved the greens, though, so it wasn’t a total loss. :)

This looks insane delish!!! I love butterfingers. My sister called me from the store the other day to say she couldn’t find the boxed cake mix she loved anywhere, hmmm.