With my job becoming more demanding, I have vowed to find more crock pot recipes and finding one with a Southwestern flair, I was all over it. Let’s take a look.
This crock pot recipe is bursting with flavor. Chicken breasts are slow cooked in a sauce using packets of Good Seasons Italian Dressing and Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing. Add some chipotle chili, cumin and vinegar and you’ve got a unique and exciting combination.
With just two of us, there was enough for plenty of leftovers. Our first meal we used the meat for tacos. Served on warmed soft corn tortillas and garnished with cilantro, tomatoes, lettuce, sweet onion, lettuce and sour cream…it was delicious.
The next night for dinner, I made little sliders (top photo). The chicken warmed in the microwave, piled high on mayo slathered soft rolls, topped with thin slices of Monterey Jack Cheese and then broiled until the cheese was melted and bubbly. Finished with a spicy dill pickle chip, it was a great little sandwich.
- * ¾ cup water
- * ¼ cup white vinegar
- * 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- * ½ teaspoon chipotle chile powder or 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- * 2 cloves garlic, minced
- * 1 packet (0.7 ounce) Italian salad dressing mix (I used Good Seasons brand)
- * 1 packet (1 ounce) Ranch dressing mix (I used Hidden Valley brand)
- * ½ cup salad oil (use a neutral flavored oil)
- * 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- * 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, optional
- * 1-2 limes cut into wedges, optional
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Place in the lightly oiled crock of a slower cooker. Set aside.
- In a pint jar, place the water, white vinegar, cumin, chipotle chile powder or chipotle chile in adobo, minced garlic, Italian salad dressing mix, and Ranch dressing mix. Put the lid on the jar and shake until the ingredients are well blended.
- Remove lid from jar and add salad oil. Put lid back on jar and shake to blend oil well with the other ingredients. Pour over chicken.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high 4-5 hours. Shred chicken with two forks and allow to remain in slow cooker for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker with a slotted spoon to allow juices to drain away. Keep cooking juices to moisten chicken as desired. Dress chicken with chopped cilantro and lime wedges, optional.
- May be used in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, salads, or other Mexican dishes of choice.
Tacqueria-Style Slow Cooked Chicken…It’s What’s for Dinner.