Mushroom, Jalapeno and Cilantro Salsa

Always cause to celebrate when one of the bloggerhood gets the opportunity to publish their very own cookbook.  And even more reason to celebrate when its my friend Yvette who lives right here in Highlands Ranch. Yvette, Veronica and their mother Evangelina were all born and raised in El Paso, Texas. They started My Bueno Cookbook blog to preserve their family’s culinary heritage. They learned to cook from their grandmother and mother, whose Mexican recipes were legendary among family and friends.

As you can imagine, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy and wasn’t about to say no when offered the chance to participate in the group event “Muy Bueno Cookbook Spotlight and Cook-Off sponsored by Hippocrene and hosted at girlichef“.

Packed full of Mexican comfort food and beautiful photography, I’ve hardly been able to put it down since it arrived. Really nice job ladies.

It’s chip and dip football season so I chose to make this mushroom salsa recipe from the appetizer section. This salsa can also be used to top chicken or pork to liven up an entree.  And liven up is an understatement. This one is for all you lime lovers.

There are many of us participating in this cookbook event, so please visit the spotlight announcement page to follow along for more recipes over the next three weeks. You have a chance to win your own copy of this book, as each of us will all be giving away a copy.

3.5 from 2 reviews

Mushroom, Jalapeño and Cilantro Salsa

Author:
Recipe type: Appetizer
Ingredients
  • 1 lb. mushrooms, stemmed & finely chopped
  • 1 small red onion, finely chopped
  • 2 jalapeños, stemmed & finely chopped
  • Handful cilantro, chopped
  • ¾ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1Tbs. olive oil
  • Salt
  • Black pepper
Instructions
  1. In a bowl combine the mushrooms, onions, jalapeño, and cilantro.
  2. Add lime juice and olive oil and toss gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Let sit a couple of hours allowing the flavors to meld. This salsa is best served room temperature
  4. Use this salsa as you would any salsa: scoop it up with tortilla chips or use it as a topping for fish, chicken, or steak.

Comments

• Lea Ann says

As long as you remove the seeds and the veins from the jalapeno, it’s not too strong at all. And yes, if I don’t do that, my mouth is on fire too. :)

Sorry about the 3 stars!! Typing in my phone, and it wouldn’t let me do five!!! Not sure if it was my fat thumbs or that google reader and Apple aren’t playing nice these days. Maybe you can over-ride it from your end?

I’ve seen this one several blogs this weekend and was so inspired that I used it as the base to a steak recipe I did yesterday. Love the styling you did in your picture!

I don’t know how I missed this one… wow.. loving this salsa. I wont be able to get Chris to eat it because of the mushrooms, but that won’t stop me.. this looks too good not to try!!

p.s… I would LOVE that Rick Bayless Caesar dressing recipe!! Thank you!!

I have definitely decided to keep this surprising salsa variation on my table along with our favorite tomato-based versions for game days, it was so shockingly delicious!! Yours looks like it turned out beautifully, LeaAnn. :)

5. 4boysnthequeen says

IDONOTLIKEMUSHROOMS…that was until I tried this at a few years ago at a restaurant. (3 Margaritas in Littleton) Our waiter stood by our table after he laid this dish down and insisted I try it…now ILOVEMUSHROOMSALSA!!! When I ran across this recipe on pinterest I KNEW I had to try it…didn’t disappoint! The freshness is ahhhMAZing! And sighhhh cilantro…my favorite:) Thank u! Now onto trying out your hatch green chile recipe for our pre game super bowl party Sat. GOOOO BRONCOS!

I had no idea 3 Margaritas served this! I need to go back now and order and compare. Go Broncos! And thanks for stopping by and leaving the comment.