Always cause to celebrate when one of the bloggerhood gets the opportunity to publish their very own cookbook. And even more reason to celebrate when its my friend Yvette who lives right here in Highlands Ranch. Yvette, Veronica and their mother Evangelina were all born and raised in El Paso, Texas. They started My Bueno Cookbook blog to preserve their family’s culinary heritage. They learned to cook from their grandmother and mother, whose Mexican recipes were legendary among family and friends.
As you can imagine, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy and wasn’t about to say no when offered the chance to participate in the group event “Muy Bueno Cookbook Spotlight and Cook-Off sponsored by Hippocrene and hosted at girlichef“.
Packed full of Mexican comfort food and beautiful photography, I’ve hardly been able to put it down since it arrived. Really nice job ladies.
It’s chip and dip football season so I chose to make this mushroom salsa recipe from the appetizer section. This mushroom jalapeno cilantro salsa can also be used to top chicken or pork to liven up an entree. And liven up is an understatement. This one is for all you lime lovers.
There are many of us participating in this cookbook event, so please visit the spotlight announcement page to follow along for more recipes over the next three weeks. You have a chance to win your own copy of this book, as each of us will all be giving away a copy.
- 1 lb. mushrooms, stemmed & finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed & finely chopped
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1Tbs. olive oil
- Black pepper
- In a bowl combine the mushrooms, onions, jalapeño, and cilantro.
- Add lime juice and olive oil and toss gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let sit a couple of hours allowing the flavors to meld. This salsa is best served room temperature
- Use this salsa as you would any salsa: scoop it up with tortilla chips or use it as a topping for fish, chicken, or steak.