Grilled Tri-tip Roast and Spaghetti Squash from Heather’s Highlands Ranch Community Garden

Grilled Tri-tip Roast, Spaghetti Squash, Heirloom Tomato Salad with Lemon Cucumbers and Vinaigrette. Spaghetti squash and lemon cucumbers compliments from Heather’s Highlands Ranch Community Garden.

I’m such a simpleton griller. Never in a million years did I think I’d be typing these words “I grilled the tri-tip roast on low over indirect heat for 60 minutes until internal temperature reached 135 degrees, and then finished with a reverse sear.”

But that’s exactly what I did!!!!

Finding a tri-tip roast in my kitchen, and with and outdoor temperatures cooling to below searing level, I decided it was time to get back out to the grill.  A quick email to Larry asking “what do I do?” resulted in his answer:

“I would give it your normal steak treatment and cook it on the grill just as I did (reverse sear), cooking it indirect then over direct heat for crust development. If you want it more done than I cooked it, raise each step 5-10 degrees to get it the way you like it but I would not go past 135* (medium) final internal temp. Hope this answers the question.”

Ey…yi…yi…with an advanced defeated sigh, I decided it give it a try and dug out my meat thermometer. I’ve never grilled a roast, I’ve never reverse seared. Oh well, what’s the worse that can happen…a ruined main course. We’ll just haul out hotdogs.

Even though I panicked a bit and thought the meat was still too rare when I started the reverse sear, I overcooked it just a tad, but still with delicious results. I’m so proud of myself for thinking outside the burners. Thanks Larry.

But this post is more about my friend and client Heather Blake. This year Heather has purchased space in one of our Highlands Ranch Community Garden plots and is growing some mighty fine produce. I asked her to drag me along on a tour last Saturday morning, I took some photos, we had a nice walk, we picked some weeds and some veggies and saw some great scenery. Let’s take a look.

“Little boxes on the hillside…little boxes made of ticky tacky”…. :) I love our views in Highlands Ranch. This is on the path through the open space to the garden area. There’s also a dog park in this area.

Highlands Ranch has four public garden plot areas available. Heather has purchased space in the Foothills Garden just off South Broadway, The size of her garden is 200 sq. feet and she pays $40 a year.

I really wanted to swipe a couple of squash blossoms, but Heather warned me that you need to know which sex to pick. I decided to steer clear.

Just another view of the garden areas.

Thank you Heather! She gave me this spaghetti squash which we enjoyed with the steak.   I halved it, cleaned it up a bit brushed it was olive oil, placed it skin side down on a baking sheet and roasted it for 45 minutes. I then removed the flesh and simply tossed it with fresh lemon, salt and pepper, Parmesan cheese, butter and some capers. It was WONderful.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen tomatillas on the vine.

Heather’s dogs, Charlie and Hans. They’ve been positioned outside the garden area to protect us from Bull Snakes and bunnies.  :)  “Good Boys”.

Heather giving her garden a good douse.

Can’t resist a photo of a sunflower.

Looks like I toured a week early. Heather just sent me this photo of her harvest from today.

Name: Charlie, Breed: Labradoodle

Charlie is a rescue. He was badly beaten by his previous owner which resulted in a broken shoulder.

He now lives happily in his loving home in Highlands Ranch with Heather but is still very wary of men.

Comments

That tri-tip looks fantastic! I wish I have steak planned for dinner tonight now. The garden pictures are wonderful as well. Ours has long since given up in the summer heat. I can hardly wait for the fall garden here.

Good for you cooking the tri-tip on the grill. Tri-tip is a cut that is easy to grill. May I offer the suggestion of cooking it directly over a medium fire, turn often until internal temperature reaches 125. Let rest covered loose with foil for 14 minutes. The carry-over cooking will bring it to a perfect medium rare.
    Pre-season sucks!

That is quite the bounty from her garden! I’m kinda scared of a reverse sear too, but looks like it turned out perfectly! The heirloom tomatoes look so good too!

4. Holly says

Your meal looks great and I’m so impressed with Heather’s garden. It looks wonderful! I have heart-warming memories of planting a small garden with my Mom and picking fresh vegies for dinner – cucumbers and tomatoes are my favorite. I’ve never attempted to cook spaghetti squash, but I think I will follow your recipe and give it a shot. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Loving your blog Lea Ann! Great garden Heather!!

• Lea Ann says

Thanks for taking the time to comment Holly. Good to hear from you! Spaghetti squash is easy. Hope you like it.

Well you sure asked the right person when you asked Larry about grilling. He’s the man. I’ve never grilled a steak and would probably die of fright.

What a great garden and so well tended. Love the guard dogs. Charlie’s smart. I would be wary of men if one beat me too.

• Lea Ann says

Yes, Larry is most certainly the resource. Not that I was all that happy with the answer. Yikes, at least it all turned out good. :)

So much to read and see in this post! You know what a garden lover I am – fun to look at gardens in other states. Especially one so beautiful with great views. I’m making notes on Larry’s instructions as you have given me the courage to try this, too. That squash sounds delicious. And I have a couple of tomatillo plants in my garden, too. They grow like weeds and will reseed themselves – a must try if they like your climate. Ticky Tacky made me sing. :)

• Lea Ann says

I’ve never tried tomatillos. The way my tomato plants are going this year, they may be next year’s crop. :)

I think people think that grilling is a hard thing to do… but once you get in there and do something like this… it’s all down hill from here :) Fantastic job!! As for the garden… amazing!!!

Way to go Lea Ann – remember this quote from your last post
    “This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook – try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless and above all have fun!”– Julia Child. The “be fearless” part really jumped out at me. Your meal looks delicious. Thanks for the shout out. That garden sure looks productive as attested by the nice pile of produce. I’ve never seen cabbage and eggplant being harvested at the same time as my cabbage is long gone when the eggplant comes on.

First, let me say congratulations on grilling the tri-tip. I can’t say that I have ever grilled anything myself (sigh). Larry is such a wealth of good information. He has given me a lot of garden advice.

I rent a garden plot in a nearby organic farm. What an experience! I love it. I enjoyed taking a journey in Heather’s garden plot-so glad you shared it with us.

Velva

YAY! Welcome to the “sear in the rear” club, lol. It’s my favorite way to cook any large cut of meat, be it a super thick steak or a whole roast. And I’m jealous of your tri tip, can’t get them easily around here.