Pickled Cauliflower, with Curry

I got it in my head that I couldn’t live without pickling cauliflower. Since I was too lazy to head to the basement to dig out my Ball Canning Cookbook I went a-Googling for a recipe.

And the stars must have been aligned just right, because after deciding on a recipe, the next morning I ran across this bin of these beautiful clouds of Colorado grown cauliflower at the Farmer’s Market.

I had no intention of adding curry powder to my pickled cauliflower, but couldn’t resist after seeing a couple of recipes touting it’s grandeur. I combined recipes because one had too large of a water to vinegar ratio for my taste, and the other didn’t have any sugar. I’ve also added red bell pepper for color and sliced red jalapeno for a kick of heat.

This pickled cauliflower isn’t officially canned. It’s easy to make, cured in the refrigerator for five days and voila, you’ve got elegant flavored and pretty colored cauliflower. Even though we think this is very good, it’s not enough flavor for me…as far as I’m concerned, if your mouth isn’t puckered it’s not pickled.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Curry Pickled Cauliflower

I used all shapes and sizes of jars, so hard to report the exact quantity made.
Recipe type: Vegetable
Ingredients
  • 1 head cauliflower (about 2 lbs), sliced into bite sized pieces
  • 2 red jalapeno, sliced
  • 1 large red bell pepper, thin sliced
  • 8 C. water
  • 2 C. white vinegar
  • ½ C. sugar
  • 2 T. salt
  • 2 T. pickling spice
  • 2 T. soy sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 T. curry powder
Instructions
  1. In a large bowl, combine water, vinegar, sugar, salt, soy sauce, garlic, pickling spice, curry powder. Whisk until fully combined, then add curry and blend.
  2. In jars, layer cauliflower and jalapenos to the top of the jars. With a cup, fill jars with pickling brine to cover vegetables.
  3. Place lids on jars and refrigerate. Allow pickles to brine for 5 days.

I totally trust the Ball Canning Cookbook people and will be making their recipe soon.

Cauliflower…It’s What’s for Pickling.

Comments

Curry is a very nice touch to pickled vegetables. I discovered that this past summer as I made my first attempt at canning. I am hoping to can fall veggies too ( like cauliflower). I appreciate the inspiration.

Velva

As a kid, I loved the hot pickled veggies we nearly always had on hand, so I’ve eaten a lot of picked cauliflower. Since I don’t consider myself much of a curry fan, perhaps you can change my mind next month, if there is any left. Since pickling is a preservation method unto itself, I rarely can anything that has been pickled and have kraut, dill pickles, pepperoncini peppers (from last year) in the fridge.

• Lea Ann says

I’ll save you some Curried Cauliflower Larry! I really want to try your dill pickles. And am loving the idea of pepperoncini. Actually, I’d like to can my way through that Ball cookbook. Everything sound so purckering delicious. :)

So glad to see curry in this. I believe it’s an underused spice, but with curry, if you happen to get too much, it’s too much.

I’ve made my own blend of curry a couple of times and think it’s way better than the supermarket brand.

4. Vickie Hemphill says

I love little bites of pickled veggies on the plate. Cauliflower with curry sounds like an interesting combo and your additions -especially that kick of heat- makes me want to try it.

This kind of looks and sounds like a bread and butter pickle brine which I think would be delicious with cauliflower. Love the addition of jalapeno and red pepper.

6. dan says

Fond memories of sampling this, thanks…loved it.

Alas, never again as my gift jar was absconded by a jealous, unappreciative, petty, mean-spirited, toadstool of a man who does not play well with others.

• Lea Ann says

I can’t believe he’s not given you that jar of cauliflower. And after whining about it making him “gassy”. Just plain mean-spirited. And LOL about the “toadstool of a man”.

I agree that puckering is essential to good pickling! The curry certainly is intriguing though…

You need to put up your tomatillo salsa post, I am interested in seeing your take on it.

xxoo,

RMW

• Lea Ann says

I will talk about that salsa, just need better photos. Thanks for stopping by and the comment, so good to hear from you.

This looks so good! And whatever that little tool is in the picture, it is too cute! A peeler? reamer? Cauliflower seperator? lol Love it!

• Lea Ann says

That little tool’s use is unknown to me. It’s an antique. It somewhat looks like a knife. It’s got that cool amethyst stone in the end of the handle. I’m thinking some sort of cocktail knife for pickles?????? Anyway, I speared a chunk of cauliflower and for this it’s simply a prop. :)