Grilled Artichokes with Spicy Lemon Aioli

Grilled artichokes with spicy lemon aioli, rosemary steamed Colorado new potatoes and lemon pepper flank steak pinwheels.

At my last hair appointment while we were waiting on my color to process my stylist Charisse asked “Have you ever grilled artichokes?”

“No,” I answered. “I’ve always just thrown them in a pot of boiling water for about 45 minutes and served them with a simple mixture of mayonnaise and curry powder for dipping.”

Adding, “I don’t make them very often because once I’m done with the leaves, I make such a mess dissecting the rest of it…I don’t know what I’m doing,” I admitted.

Charisse returned “I’ve tried grilling them a couple of times and they’ve come out tough”.

So out came the iPad and we Googled “grilled artichokes”. Don’t you love technology and the fact that you can Google something at the drop of a hat? Of course we found several techniques and recipes which offered us plenty of salon chair quarterbacking opportunities.

“Well that’s not enough cooking time!” Charisse noted about the first result and I agreed.

“Mmm…that sauce sounds good.” I commented on the next.

“Is that an artichoke???” We laughed at the next photo.

“King Soopers was out of artichokes the other day blaming Costco for buying up the whole shipment!” Charisse complained.

“Grill on high???” We scoffed at a plate of charred chokes from the next recipe.

“Did you hear Tom and Katie are getting divorced?” Charisse asked.

“I wonder if it has anything to do with religion?” I speculated.

“Time to rinse,” ordered Charisse and that was that.

Now that I’ve got you on the edge of your seats…  :) That evening at home I continued my research, chose instructions that I thought made sense and promptly bought artichokes the next day. The recipe told me to quarter and clean the artichokes before cooking. I was bound and determined to learn how to “clean” and lo and behold the first Googled result was a You Tube video by our very own Chef Mick from Tony’s Market.

I quartered the artichokes after prepping, boiled them in salted water for 15 minutes, removed and drained excess water. Drizzled them with olive oil and grilled over medium heat for 20 minutes turning every once in awhile. I served them with this spicy lemon aioli I found over at PBSFood. It was outstanding. We were totally impressed and surprised at the smoky flavor that the artichokes soaked up from grilling. Thanks to Charisse, I’ll be grilling many more.

Grilled Artichokes with Spicy Lemon Aioli

Recipe type: Condiment
Ingredients
  • ¼ cup mayonnaise
  • juice of ½ lemon
  • ¼ tsp sriracha sauce
  • ¼ tsp minced garlic
  • sea salt to taste
  • pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Mix all ingredients together.

Grilled Artichokes with Spicy Lemon Aioli…They’re What’s for Dinner.

Comments

I haven’t grilled them myself, but had them at a restaurant while on our road trip to Florida. They were delicious and I’m sure that yours were as well. Now that I have a recipe…I’ll give them a try.

I haven’t grilled artichokes too many times and I have had hit and miss results. You inspire me to give it another shot. The best artichokes I have EVER had were deep fried artichoke hearts. OMG those things are orgasmic.

• Lea Ann says

Chris, these weren’t even very good artichokes. I was thinking about throwing them out and looking for better. They turned out fine. I’ve had deep fried in California at that artichoke restaurant. I agree. OMG

LOL, what a fun story – and spot on!. I am excited to read another way to prepare artichokes. Adding Sriracha to the aioli sauce sounds so good it made my mouth water. Are you going to dish about the pinwheel?
    p.s. that bowl is fabulous. :)

• Lea Ann says

My friend Vickie stuffs hers. Now that I’m an artichoke prep expert I’ll be more inclined to experiment. :)

• Lea Ann says

I agree Cathy. I think more so than any other food I’ve grilled. The aioli is incredible, in a simple sort of way.

I thought women only talked about other women at the beauty shop :-). I had high hoped for lots of artichokes to eat this summer, but after growning rapidly for a while our plant has just been sitting there for many weeks and I’m thinking it may be too hot for it. Maybe it will take off as the weather cools in the fall.

• Lea Ann says

Well, we did that too. You’re growing an artichoke???? That would be great if it did take off. I’m blaming the heat on my slow tomatoes. I’ve only got one little fruit so far. :/

So, I do the very same thing with the guy who cuts my hair, we talk about food and google food. I can’t wait to show him this post the next time I go in, he’ll get a kick out of it.

Lovely site! Great recipes! Yay! A new cyberfriend….

• Lea Ann says

So glad you stopped by. And yes, I look forward to your posts also. Looks like we have similar tastes in food. That rack of lamb of yours looked incredible. And LOL, I can just see you and the hairdresser enjoying the banter. :)

Technology is a wonderful thing…..I can’t the number of times I have googled- Like you, I do it at the drop of the hat.

I have shied away from preparing artichokes myself because I can’t seem to get it right. Looks like you nailed it.

Awesome.

Velva

• Lea Ann says

Well I don’t know if I nailed it, but we sure did like them Velva. I’ll declared “nailed” when I’ve had several successes. Always good to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by.

I do love them steamed and scraping that tender meat off the leaves is soooo delicious. Definitely will be trying them with your Aioli recipe next time.
    Artichokes can be a royal pain to prepare and they discolor so fast unless you’ve got lemons handy. I’ve never grilled them though.

Not everybody can work a hair appointment into a food post :) Cute… I love to grill artichokes, but I boil them whole (about 40 miinutes or so) halve them, get rid of the spiny stuff, then brush them with olive oil and balsamic and grill them for just a few minutes. Easy peasy. The aioli sounds good with the srichacha in it!

• Lea Ann says

Do you have a grill pan Joanne? No smoky flavor with that idea, but it might carmelize some of those flavors in.

I’ve never even thought of grilling grilled artichokes! They are one of my all-time favorite veggies and I love the mess I make when getting down the the ‘gold’ at the bottom. Would love to try the method and that lovely lemon aioli.

• Lea Ann says

Thanks Susan. I don’t think I had thought about grilling either, until Charisse said something. I really liked that aioli.

You have stumbled upon a secret that us California natives do not share very often. We are very near the artichoke capital of the world. When in season we boil the artichokes first. We then half or quarter and remove the choke. It is a little easier that way. We then marinade them in an Italian dressing made with balsamic vinegar and lots of garlic. Grill over medium fire. OH YEAH!!!!

• Lea Ann says

I’m glad you left this comment. I like the idea of boiling first, seems easier. Italian Dressing with Balsamic Vinegar????? LOVE that.

You are indeed near the artichoke capital of the world. I wrote about it in my latest blogpost ‘Artichoke Love: You Gotta Have Heart.