Roxborough State Park

Just a short intermission from recipes and cooking. After all, the way I cook (and eat) exercise is something that can’t be skipped. We’ve been enjoying perfect Spring weather here in the Rockies, which recently found us on a 2.5 mile hike close to home.

Roxborough State Park is just a few miles Southwest of Highlands Ranch. The park, with close to 4000 acres, is known for it’s dramatic red rock formations, and for us, it’s a prime bird watching destination. So sit back and enjoy the scenery as we meander along the trail.

Cutting through the Dakota Hogback to enter the park.

Roxborough Park has a wonderful visitor’s center nestled in the rock formations.

Formations looking South from the Visitor Center.

A view from the Fountain Overlook.

Along the hiking trail.

Some of the formations can get pretty craggy.

I love how the vegetation climbs up through this valley.

The joint is lousy with these things.  oooooo…ahhhhhh.

We saw no rascally rattlers.

The historic Persse homestead on the property. We watched baby bears in the trees behind this house once. We scurried along our way when it dawned on us that mamma bear was most surely near. Remember that Nancy?

Making the turn back east the trail heads back towards the visitor center. Urban sprawl and Highlands Ranch sits just beyond that horizon.

But wait, there’s more. This is the view to our right while walking back to the car.

Birds seen, April 29:

• Scrub Jays everywhere
  • Spotted Towhees, everywhere
  • 2 White-crowned Sparrows
  • 1 Golden Eagle on top of the hog back, eagle-eye-ing a nearby prairie dog town
  • 1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
  • Lots of Chickadees
  • White-throated Swifts
  • Cliff Swallows
  • Tree Swallows
  • Turkey Vultures
  • Canyon Wrens

Comments

1. Nancy says

Not surprisingly I love this post! I absolutely remember those bears! Or were they monkeys? ;). It’s a wonderful park…I had a few life birds there. Thanks for taking me back!

• Lea Ann says

That was such a great day, hiking, brunch and then a Rockies Game. And LOL about the monkeys. I’ll never ever forget that.

So, so pretty there and so very different from where we live on the east coast. We’ve been to Yellowstone and fished for trout in Island Park. Then on to Montana and enjoyed it very much, but never to your specific part of the world.
    It’s on the list.

Such beautiful country – thanks for sharing. I left a comment on the shrimp, but I don’t think it “took” – it looks wonderful and I can see grilled shrimp in my near future!

Looks like a great way to spend a day. Have you ever been East – I’m often amazed that it can be so different than your area. Thanks for the tour of the park.

Very nice! I loved being included in your walk – and your bird tally. (Always happy when the Rufous Sided Towhees get back up here because it means spring is finally here) Those red rock formations are beautiful and the visitor’s center looks fun – I would have to browse the books and displays in there for sure. Do you have pictures of the monkey/bears? :-)

If you got lost there overnight they could make a movie about it called “A Night At The Roxborough” [Cue "What is Love" by Haddaway]

• Lea Ann says

LOL, don’t think I’d want to get lost at night. Lions and tigers and bears … ohmy. Well ok, at least there are mountain lions and bears.