Carrots, what a great side dish for any meal. This recipe, which simmers sliced carrots in chicken broth, sugar and butter until a shiny glaze appears and then tossed with red grape halves and chunks of walnuts…Let’s just say there was a mummering at the table that this was a better side dish than the companion Herbed Mashed Potatoes. Can you imagine???
For a citrusy accent, add 2 teaspoons grated lemon or orange zest. A sprinkling of chopped fresh mint makes a good garnish. Let’s take a look:
- 1 large bunch carrots, peeled and sliced about ¼ inch thick. (6 cups)
- ¼ C. unsalted butter
- 1 C. chicken stock
- 3 T. sugar
- 1 C. seedless red grapes, cut in half
- ½ C. chopped walnuts
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- In a wide saute pan over high heat, combine the carrots, butter, stock and sugar. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low. Simmer uncovered until the carrots are tender and the pan juices are reduces to a syrupy glaze. 8 – 10 minutes.
- Stir in the grapes and walnuts and season with salt and pepper.
Glazed Carrots with Grapes and Walnuts…It’s What’s for a Side Dish.