Even though we’ve had Spring weather for about the past two weeks, much of the time the wind has been howling, gusting, tossing patio furniture about the yard and in general just being pesky enough that grilling hasn’t seemed a fun option.
A window of opportunity this past weekend found me cleaning out the drip pan and scraping those grates clear and sizzling up a chicken breast for this great little salad.
Mixed baby greens, cubed tomatoes and grilled chicken that’s been seasoned with marjoram and cut into bite sized pieces…so what’s there to talk about? It’s about the dressing. Pineapple juice, sweet chili sauce and Dijon mustard come together to turn this into a bold and exciting dish. So flavorful, I’m going to try this dressing, which almost resembles a glaze, on some grilled chicken wings. Let’s take a look:
- ¾ C. pineapple juice
- 2 T. bottled sweet chili sauce
- 2 T. white wine vinegar
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- 1 t. dark sesame oil
- ½ C. sliced almonds
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- Canola oil
- ½ t. finely chopped fresh marjoram
- salt and pepper
- 4 C. mixed baby greens
- 2 tomatoes cubed
- To make the dressing: In a medium saucepan, whisk together the pineapple juice, chili sauce, vinegar and soy sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until ½ cup remains, 15 – 20 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in mustard and sesame oil and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook the almonds until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally.
- Brush chicken breasts with oil, season with marjoram and salt and pepper. Grill over medium heat until meat is firm to the touch and no longer pink. Approximately 10 minutes. Tent until you can handle and then cut into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the greens, chicken, almonds and tomatoes. Drizzle the dressing over the top (you may not need all of it) and toss to evenly coat. Serve immediately.
And speaking of wind, this is a photo of smoke from the Lower North Fork Fire, taken from our back deck. It’s burning about 20 miles west of Highlands Ranch. Late Monday afternoon, and with wind gusts up to 90 miles an hour, the fire quickly grew to around 3,000 acres. And with the late day sun hovering over western horizon, and black smoke darkening the sky, it was an ominous and tragic sight.
Sweet Chili-Mustard Chicken Salad…It’s What’s for Dinner.