Flax Seed and Cracked Pepper Crackers

This post is part of the Joy the Baker Cookbook Spotlight and Cook-Off sponsored by Hyperion and hosted at GirliChef.

No, you’re not hallucinating, I have indeed agreed to be a part of my first group cooking project which happens to involve nothing but baking.

Me, who won’t, can’t and does not like to bake.

Me, who ruined the Rhoades frozen rolls at Thanksgiving.

Me, who recently ran to the store and bought a box of Jiffy rather than make something as easy as cornbread my scratch.

This project is also a vehicle to promote a new cookbook by “Joy the Baker“.  Always great news to see one of our fellow bloggers publish a cookbook.

For our first project, we were given the option of preparing Chocolate Fudge Brownies with Chocolate Butter-cream Frosting, or Flax Seed and Cracked Pepper Crackers.  Being the savory type, and obviously “crazy in the head”, I chose those crackers over chocolate fudge and butter-cream.

After reading the recipe, I was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to find some of the ingredients. Sounding completely foreign to me were things like golden flax seed…ground flax seed meal…flour…OK so I’m exaggerating on flour, everyone knows I’ve used it to bread meat.  But thanks to my local health food store, Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage, I was delighted to come out with every single item I needed.  The flax products were in the back corner in the vitamin section???  Took me a while to find them.

Let’s get started.

The instructions appeared to be simple and straight forward and warned that the dough would be “shaggy” before turning it out on my lightly floured surface. Going to work with my shaggy dough and lightly floured rolling pin, I realized something was obviously wrong.  This stuff was absolutely not going to roll into anything.  Being doughaphobic and not familiar with how it should look and feel, I made an executive decision to  correct the problem by adding another teaspoon of buttermilk…

Seemed like things were rolling along much smoother.

I got the dough rolled out to 1/8 inch thick.  Instructions then said to use a 1 1/2 inch round cookie cutter or a pizza cutter to cut into squares.  I did the latter since I don’t own a cookie cutter.  At this point, I was extremely proud of my perfect little square crackers.  Just bake the them for about 18 minutes until golden and you’re done.  Easy.

Result:

Texture:  A little chewy.  I’m not sure if that’s how they’re supposed to be?  I’ll be anxious to read other posts.

Flavor:  Love the nutty accent that the  flax brings to this cracker. And the pepper? I’m a big fan so added even more than I thought would be socially acceptable. And after a smear of goat cheese, as Joy suggests in her book, I was smitten.

Process:  After the inauspicious beginning, these were a breeze to make.  A fun project for a snowy day.

Flax Seed and Cracked Pepper Crackers…They’re what’s for a Healthy Snack.

5.0 from 1 reviews

Flax Seed and Cracked Pepper Crackers

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Makes about 4 dozen crackers
Author:
Recipe type: Appetiser
Ingredients
  • 1//4 c. golden flax seed
  • ¼ c. ground flax seed meal
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • ¼ c. all-purpose flour
  • ½ tsp. baking soda
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
  • ½ c. buttermilk
Instructions
  1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flaxseed, flaxseed meal, flours, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter, and using your fingers, quickly work the butter into the dry ingredients. Some of the butter will resemble oatmeal flakes; others will be the size of small pebbles. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Add the buttermilk, and use a fork to bring all of the ingredients together. Make sure that every bit of flour is moistened by the buttermilk. The dough will be shaggy.
  3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, with a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out half of the dough. Roll just thinner than ⅛ inch thick. Use a 1½-inch round cookie cutter to cut out crackers, or use a pizza cutter to trim the edges and cut the dough into 1½-inch squares. Prick each cracker with the tines of a fork and place on a baking sheet.
  4. Bake crackers for 15 to 18 minutes, until slightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before placing in an airtight container to store.
  5. Will last, in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 4 days.

.  http://www.girlichef.com/2012/02/cookbook-spotlight-cook-off-joy-baker.html

Comments

That last picture is almost ethereal…I love the light! Well. Let me just say – I’m proud of you for working on your baking chops ;)! You can now say that you’ve made crackers. Does altitude have anything to do with the ingredient amounts, I wonder? I’m very unfamiliar with how all of that works. Anyhoo…I’d definitely dig in – pass the crackers and the goat cheese!

• Lea Ann says

Thanks Heather! I’m so glad I joined the group. A fun project for poor little non-baker me. Absolutely the altitude makes a difference. I know even less about adjustments, guess I better be learning. :)

Congrats on the great looking crackers. Looks like joining a baking group is a good way to make yourself try it. My baking is pretty well limited to frozen pizza so I understand, but I’ve been considering asking the family baker to try some crackers.

• Lea Ann says

LOL, I make a pretty good frozen pizza myself. Actually, I make a good banana nut bread. I’d like to try more cracker recipes. They’re about the only remaining processed item I buy at the store.

Lea Ann, I am so excited for you! Look at these beautiful crackers! And your are part of a baking group now? Congratulations! I like the last picture.
    I LOVE my local Vitamin Cottage and shop there all the time. I have also made the experience that some items are hidden especially well. Glad you found them all.
    Let’s get together soon.

• Lea Ann says

I knew you, more than anyone, would be impressed with “me”. :) Thanks Kirsten. The Highlands Ranch Vitamin Cottage is so close to me, I’m in there a lot too. Yes, those flax seeds were clear in the corner tucked in with the vitamins.

Hi! I just finished with my crackers and the texture is as you mentioned. I thought it was just me. I am posting mine tomorrow or as soon as I clean up the photos. Your crackers look fantastic and I am not just saying that. Really…great job!!

Ok, well I might be in the minority, but I love baking! I could have helped you out with the flax – I use it all the time! I must say – that is quite the impressive tower of crackers! And unless I am missing something, where does the pepper come in? Do you put that on before they go in the oven?

• Lea Ann says

I don’t mind baking, I just suck at it. Especially at this altitude. I’m probably the one in the minority. :) The recipe failed to give us directions for the pepper. I just sprinkled it on and pressed it in before baking.

How fun! I’m enjoying my group baking activity much more than I thought I would. I’ve always been a bit of a loner but find it very fun. Your crackers look great. I can’t wait to see what you bake next.

Congratulations on taking the challenge Lea Ann. You did a “marvelous” job as Billy Crystal would say. I am so proud of you for being a good sport, which I knew you were anyway and poking a little fun at yourself. I like to laugh at myself and I think it makes things in life such as baking easier. I’m not much of a baker either. I would have rather die than make a cake, so I know what you went through.

As always, your photos are fabulous and you did it and they turned out great. Congratulations again. Hope it’s beginning to warm up out your way.

WOW! I’m so impressed and proud of you for donning a baking apron and going in. :) And these wonderful crackers look like a great motivator to start a baking career! I have always wanted to do something with flax seeds because they’re crazy healthy – what a great looking recipe! Love the description of “shaggy” dough. And the photos are just gorgeous. I am crazy about your food styling, girl!

How many times did that presentation pile fall? :)
    Looks good and you did a super job transforming the shaggy dough to one that was usable. I love that you’ve asked if that’s how they’re supposed to taste. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve done that with a recipe! I Google it to see what everyone else says.

• Lea Ann says

Very good point Laura. I’ve also bookmarked some pretty sinful things in that book. :) Thanks for taking the time to stop by and the comment.

• Lea Ann says

Actually, in my mind, the brownies would have been the harder task. Maybe it’s due to several brownie high altitude baking flops. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and the comment.

• Lea Ann says

Thanks Gerry. I’m finally finding the time to answer comments and will soon be looking in on everyone’s recipes. Likewise, this is a fun project and I’m enjoying finding so many good bloggers.

i made the crackers too! i went a little thinner and cooked for a bit longer to get them to dry out a bit more. yours look fantastic….perfect little squares! love it.

• Lea Ann says

That’s exactly what I should have done. Nonetheless, they were delicious. Thanks, I was pretty proud of those squares. I even got out a ruler and measured. :)

Looks like the crackers were a success! So glad you decided to leave your comfort zone and take the baking challenge! Beautiful photography too!

So glad to be sharing the cookbook challenge and spotlight experience with you. Looking forward to see what you pick for week 3!

Best,
    Jenn/Rook No. 17

• Lea Ann says

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and the comment. I’m finally finding time to get around to all the participants. FUN!

Good for you to challenge yourself with the crackers. That’s awesome! I think you made an excellent judgement call in adding the additional buttermilk. Your crackers look excellent.

• Lea Ann says

Thanks Kim and for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I know nothing about baking, so it was cross my fingers and pour in a little more milk. Seemed to do the trick.