Cheddar, Chive and Jalapeno Biscuits, Joy the Baker Cookbook

This post is part of the Joy the Baker Cookbook Spotlight and Cook-Off sponsored by Hyperion and hosted at GirliChef.

I made the wrong biscuits. That’s right…flat out screwed up and followed the wrong recipe from the rules which were clearly spelled out by Heather, our leader.  I was supposed to make Whole Wheat Honey and Goat Cheese Biscuits from page 45, but instead made Cheddar, Chive and Jalapeno biscuits on page 46.

And to make it worse, when looking at the “right” recipe a couple weeks ago in the Joy the Baker Cookbook,  I remember thinking, “Oh good, the recipe calls for whole wheat flour,” (meaning I’ll use up some of the flour I bought for the first first flax seed cracker project). And to make things even worse, in preparation and reading through the wrong recipe a few days ago, I thought to myself , “humph…I thought the recipe called for whole wheat flour…oh well“.

And to make things ever stupider, during this past week when I started seeing other participants posts come through, I thought, “Wonder why no one made the jalapeno biscuits?“…

Here’s what I think happened…my brain clearly glazed over when I saw the words jalapeno and cheese. You know me and my Southwestern preferences. The whole debacle is a a big DUH on my part.

And finally to make things even worse, I’ve had an incredibly busy week at work, and now a weekend filled with activities, and here we are at deadline for posting and I simply don’t have time to make the right recipe. I’ll probably be banned from ever joining another group project again.  EVER!

I made a great little breakfast this morning.  Warm Cheddar, Chive and Jalapeno Biscuits, with a patty of sausage, some Southwest inspired Hollandaise and an over-easy egg.  If making these were wrong…I don’t want to be right.  :)

These biscuits are really wonderful…Let’s take a look.

Cheddar, Chive, Jalapeno Biscuits, Joy The Baker Cookbook

Author:
Recipe type: bread
Ingredients
  • 3 C. all-purpose flour
  • 1 T. granulated sugar
  • 4½ t. baking powder
  • ¼ t. cream of tarter
  • ¾ t. salt
  • ¾ c. cold buttermilk, plus more for topping
  • 1 egg
  • ¾ c. cheddar cheese, cut in small cubes
  • 1 medium jalapeno, seeds partially removed, diced small
  • 3 T. diced chives
  • ⅓ C. unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
  • Coarse sea salt for topping
Instructions
  1. Place a rack in the center and upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tarter and salt.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg.
  4. Add butter to the flour mixture. With your fingers or a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour, breaking the small cubes into smaller bits. Once the butter is well incorporated into the flour mixture, the flour will resemble coarse meal. Some chunks will be the size of small pebbles, others will be the size of oat flakes.
  5. Toss the cheese mixture into the flour mixture. Create a small well in the center of the flour mixture and add the buttermilk mixture all at once. Toss together with a fork making sure that all of the flour bits are moistened by the buttermilk. Mixture will be shaggy. Dump the biscuit dough into a lightly floured counter and knead for 8 - 10 minutes, just to bring it together into a 1½ inch-thick circle.
  6. Cut biscuits into squares or use a 2½ inch circle biscuit cutter to cut rounds. If you don't have a round biscuit cutter, you can use a knife to cut the dough into small squares. Gather dough scraps, knead lightly and cut out more biscuits until batter is gone. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheets, brush with buttermilk, sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 12 - 15 minutes.
  7. Biscuits are best the day they're made, but can be wrapped, stored at room temperature and served the next day as well.

Cheddar, Chive and Jalapeno Biscuits…They’re What’s Not for the Assignment!

Comments

Lea Ann I’m practically drooling on myself (glad you don’t have a visual). These look beyond delicious and I love the idea for breakfast. I definitely prefer protein for breakfast and these look too good to imagine. I’ve been hankering for a burger of late and your last few posts are really pushing me to make that happen sooner vs. later!

• Lea Ann says

With it only being the two of us, when I made those burgers, I have two patties in the freezer. Every time I open the door they’re screaming my name!

That’s funny, Lea Ann! Some of our errors turn out to be blessings, right? Well, these certainly did anyway. They look great.
    (am posting MY first foray into crackers Monday….)

I hope you are not banned (ever) but I am so glad that you made the wrong biscuits. Not that the other biscuits don’t sound great…it is just that I love jalapeño and cheese anything. Your breakfast sounds absolutely wonderful. I think everyone will be happy that you made the tiniest, slightest, not a big deal mistake. I’ll write you a note if they even think about banning you.

Frankly I’m glad that you made the wrong biscuits because jalapeno and cheddar sound way better to me! BTW I made your Rocky Mountain Steak Salad…delish, I’ll be reposting!

• Lea Ann says

Rhonda, I’ll be anxious to read the post. I always love seeing how other prepare and showcase a recipe. Glad you liked it.

Love the “If making these was wrong, I don’t want to be right.” I think the cheddar and jalapeno biscuits were calling your name and you answered, that’s what I think. So it must be right.

Fabulous photo of breakfast Lea Ann.

• Lea Ann says

Sam, is that from some Country Western song? I’ll have to Google it. Yes, those biscuits were definitely calling my name!

No doubt in my mind you made the right biscuits – challenged be da*&%$ and you certainly did the right thing with them. Your meal and your photo are both outstanding and now I’m hungry for breakfast.

Too funny! I think your mistake sounds super yummy, but that’s coming from a Latina who prefers a savory and spicy biscuit vs. a sweet biscuit. And I love jalapenos ;)

It was great seeing you yesterday Lea Ann!

• Lea Ann says

I especially liked the part when all week I wondered why I was the only one who chose the cheddar/jalapeno … now that’s a big DUH.

“If making these were wrong…I don’t want to be right” . . . LOL! When I read that I started humming the song (the soul version, not the country one).

I say be a rebel, girl! Julia Child said “never apologize” & ” In cooking you’ve got to have a ‘What the hell?’ attitude.” Looks like you made a great choice – these sound delicious.

• Lea Ann says

I love every single thing that Julia Child has ever said about cooking. Another one of my favorites went something like this “If your meal comes out perfectly arranged, it means someone’s hands have been all over it”. :)

At least you can laugh about it. And had some great biscuits to boot. I chose this recipe for this week’s post too (will post later in the week). I loved them! Great flavor. Great texture. Nice looking breakfast

• Lea Ann says

I’ll be making up for it by making the mini cakes this week. I don’t want to mess up the system. Enjoy the biscuits.

Seriously Lea Ann, there are no mistakes!! I just dropped by to say how nice it was to meet you yesterday at the sausage tasting and now I am trying to figure out when I can make your scrumptious looking breakfast! Love your blog and I also look forward to seeing you again soon. Cheers!

• Lea Ann says

Thank you for stopping by and the comment. Nice to meet you too. Loved our little sausage outing. Fun and delicious little trip.

I probably would have turned up my nose at the goat cheese biscuits anyway :-) These sound much more appetizing to me, along with that beautiful breakfast!

• Lea Ann says

Well, I kinda wish I had made the goat cheese biscuits, which called for whole wheat flour, I’ll probably never use up that big bag of flour.

Well, I’m glad you made the “wrong” one, as I love the jalapeno and cheese combo too.
    These biscuits look so tasty, and I love the photo of your breakfast. Drool