Marinated Mushrooms

This week Google will be inundated with recipe searches for every kind of snack food imaginable, dips, salsas, wings, sliders…all of those delicious foods that will fill our party tables and define watching the Superbowl.

This probably isn’t one of those. I wouldn’t take this to friends house next Sunday and set it between that big plate of cheesy nachos and the platter of sliders and wings. You’d probably end up taking the whole untouched bowl home with you after the game.

But, I wouldn’t hesitate to serve this next time you’re having friends over for dinner. It worked very nicely last night sitting between a bowl of assorted olives and a plate of mild cheeses and crackers. Creamy Amadeus and Lemon Stilton to be more specific.

My friend Kathy served this years ago when we were invited to their house for dinner. I’m just now giving it a try and will add it to my database as a fresh and delicious addition to my appetizer collection. The recipe calls for small mushrooms and a marinade time of at least one hour. I used baby bellas because the selection of white mushrooms were quite large in size. I also let it marinade in the refrigerator about eight hours. Citrusy and savory, let’s take a look.

Marinated Mushrooms

A quick, easy and flavorful appetizer.
Author:
Recipe type: Appetizer
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 3 T. shallots, minced
  • ¼ C. fresh orange juice
  • 2 T. white wine vinegar
  • 1 T. orange zest
  • 1 t. dried thyme (or 2 t. fresh chopped)
  • ½ t. salt
  • 2 t. olive oil
  • 3 C. small mushrooms
Instructions
  1. Clean mushrooms. In a bowl combine all ingredients and toss to coat well. Season with freshly ground pepper. Chill, covered, for 1 hour or longer stirring occasionally..

Marinated Mushrooms…It’s what’s for a Tasty Appetizer.

Comments

Yum! Orange thyme marinated mushrooms sound super tasty! I really love food like this and would pick it any day over nachos and sliders (but I’d have to side it with a couple of those spicy wings). :)
    LOVE that photo.

Lovely recipe Lea Ann. I would certainly nibble these on Super Bowl Sunday or any other time I got the chance, but I agree that they might be more appreciated for an Oscar party.

I’m a fan and would be one person who would go for them even next to the nachos. Don’t get me wrong, I’d have the other stuff as well.

Hey Lea Ann – so great to meet you! Thanks for stopping by. I am so glad to find your blog and will share this with my brother and sister-in-law who must be neighbors since they also live in Highlands Ranch. I used to live in Littleton, Englewood and Aurora many years ago. Love mushrooms – they are great with anything. Have a wonderful week. (Do you know anybody in the North Ranch area?)

• Lea Ann says

Sometimes It’s a very small world. I know so many people in Highlands Ranch, as I’ve lived, worked and played here for 20 years. When I first moved to Denver, I lived in Englewood also. Old Englewood, in the Swedish Hospital area. North Ranch? Are you talking about the old north area of Highlands Ranch? So glad you took the time to comment. And thanks for stopping by.

I like how the citrus flavors brighten this one up. Marinated mushrooms are easy and are so much better than buying marinated ones in a jar.