One Of Our Favorites, Southwest Chicken and Bean Soup

A combination of two teaspoons Mexican oregano, one teaspoon cumin and one teaspoon garlic powder is a great start in building a flavorful Southwestern-style soup. Just add your choices of broth, vegetables, beans and meat  and you’ve got a quick meal. Top with a dollop of sour cream or grated cheese, some cilantro and you’ll be dancing around that sombrero in no time.

For this soup, I kicked things up a notch by slicing and dicing a seeded Chipotle pepper in Adobo Sauce and adding about a teaspoon of the sauce from the can. The dark read color and spicy heat turned this into a sultry bowl of soup and a nice compliment for those dark red kidney beans. And did I mention a warming comfort while watching our latest snow fall of ten inches on our back deck?

Let’s take a look:

• 1 Large jalapeno pepper, seeds and veins removed and fine chopped
  • 1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce, seeds and veins removed and chopped
  • 1 t. Adobo Sauce from the can of chiles
  • 2 t. Dried Mexican oregano, crushed
  • 1 t. Ground cumin
  • 1 t. Garlic powder
  • ⅛ t. ground red pepper flakes
  • 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite sized pieces and sauteed until almost done
  • Shredded Cheddar Cheese or Sour Cream for topping
Instructions
  1. In a Dutch oven cook onion in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add remaining ingredients except for chicken and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
  2. Add in cooked chicken and let steep until heated through. About 5 minutes.
  3. Ladle into soup bowls and serve with toppings of your choice, tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream or chopped avocado. Or all.

Southwest Chicken and Bean Soup… It’s What’s for Dinner.

Comments

• Lea Ann says

Thanks Karen, I didn’t know you were from Texas … guess I haven’t been following your blog long enough. And yes, warm, comforting and yummy! :)

Would this be a good soup for Sunday to watch your local team beat the visiting team that used to have a beaver-toothed now car salesman and furniture designer?

• Lea Ann says

Ha…..ha……ha……. keep it up!

I may not be able to watch on Sunday, especially if it’s anything like last year. ohmyGAWDawful

Please, please tell me I don’t have to have ten inches of snow to make this soup (smile). My bags are packed and I’m heading south the minute the temperatures fall below flip-flop wearing weather. In my book snow is only pretty when it’s at someone else’s house.

Love chipotle. I keep a jar in my refrig just for occasions such as this. Great soup Lea Ann.

Oh boy! I heard about the snow in Denver on the news. Good knew for skiers anyway.

This sounds like a delicious, warm bowl of chili. I love the sound of the chipotle and adobo too. Just a little something extra to get the blood circulating ;)

• Lea Ann says

The mountains are getting another big blast of snow today. Definitely Winter in the Rockies. As always thanks for stopping by and the comment.

Love it. I like my soups like this to have “just enough burn” to not be unpleasant but leaves me sniffling afterwards. The trio of oregano, garlic, and cumin is one of my favorites.

LOVE this combination of flavors and the addition of Adobo in this sounds perfect. But what I’m loving most about this soup are those bowls . . . so cute! Please forget to hide them when I come for a visit. ;P
    p.s. gorgeous photo!

• Lea Ann says

Those bowls are Frankoma. After years and years of hinting I’ve just now brought those into my kitchen from my mom’s house. Must I remind you about my ankle biting terriers that will protect them from you! :)

Just come for a visit darnit!

• Lea Ann says

Absolutely Kristi, I make a big batch on Sunday and have super easy and delicious lunches during the week. Ya gotta love that.

• Lea Ann says

Thanks for stopping by Julie. Couldn’t agree more, that’s about all we’ve had for two weeks … soup…soup…soup.

Mexican oregano? Is that something new, Lea Ann? Do I find it where the regular dried oregano is? Or is it a Whole Foods kind of thing?
    Not to take away from this fabulous soup but I am mad for your bowls. I have mats similar, but made in Thailand and square. I love them.

• Lea Ann says

Barbara, I find Mexican Oregano at my spice store. I’ve never seen it at main stream markets. Regular Oregano will do, however, Mexican Oregano is a milder and slightly sweeter herb. I just got those bowls from my mother. They are Frankoma and she’s probably had them 30 years. These mats came from Ikea. As always, thanks for stopping by and the comment.

You had me at adobe and cumin! This is so warming and perfect for fall. Now if it’d just dip back down to the 60s. That’s soup weather here.