Easy Mulligatawny Soup Recipe

Mulligatawny soup is curry flavored of Anglo-Indian origin. Some Anglo-Indian dishes derive from traditional British cuisine, such as roast beef, modified by the addition of Indian-style spices, (Thank you Wikipedia).

I’ve seen many recipes for Mulligatawny, each so different and unique, but none have tempted me to stray from this version that has evolved over the years into my stew-style meal. Even though it bears the name of this Indian inspired dish, it may have purists weeping “what has she done with my mulligatawny,” but nonetheless it is one of the most flavorful and beloved  soups  in my database.

A curried broth plays host to sliced carrots, sauteed onions and celery, raisins, chopped apples and chunks of tomatoes.  Bright with color, dancing with flavor and thickened with rice this soup becomes irresistible . What I find amazing is that the combination of seasonings and vegetables certainly compliment one another, but with each bite stand alone and announce their flavorful contribution to this classic Fall soup.  This is an easy recipe,  just a lot of dicing and slicing.  Let’s take a look.

5.0 from 2 reviews

• ½ whole onion, chopped
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 4 tomatoes, rough chopped. Or 1 can tomatoes undrained
  • 1 Gala apple, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • ½ C. long grain rice
  • ¼ C. raisins
  • 2 t. curry powder (nothing exotic here, for this I use just the standard curry mix found in grocery store spice isle)
  • ⅛ t. grated fresh nutmeg
  • 2 chicken breast halves, cubed and sauteed
  • Fresh cilantro for topping
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. In a Dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium high. Add carrots, onions and celery and saute until tender.
  2. Add broth, tomatoes, apple, uncooked rice, raisins, curry powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile in a fry pan, salt and pepper and saute cubed chicken in remaining olive oil just enough until no longer pink inside and starting to brown.
  4. Add chicken to Dutch oven and heat through. Adjust spices if needed.
  5. Ladle into bowls and top with fresh cilantro.

Easy Mulligatawny Soup…It’s What’s for Dinner.

One Year Ago:  Turkish Fries

Two Years Ago:  Shchi (Russian Cabbage Soup)

Comments

This recipes sounds great. I love the whole sweet and savory mix of Indian spices and fruit.

Also, thanks for posting the link the Turkish Fries – I had said that I wanted to make them but forgot about them.

My favorite part of cooking is all that dicing and slicing! It has therapeutic properties. Your Mulligatawny looks incredibly good – hearty and comforting – just the way a soup like this should be!

• Lea Ann says

Couldn’t agree more Reeni. The more slicing and dicing, the calmer I get. So glad that you stopped by and the comment. :)

• Lea Ann says

I created this at home after a bowl at a small restaurant. I’ve seen other recipes and have never tried them. I really should try an “official” Mulligatawny soup recipe. Hope you like it Pam

I have never tasted Mulligatawny, but after reading your fabulous write up and seeing that amazing photo, I’m in. Wow, wow, wow!

Seriously, that photo is so beautiful it should be in a magazine. Wonderful food styling!!

• Lea Ann says

My gosh, thanks for such a compliment. Hope all is well with you Vickie and that you’re finally caught up from all the traveling and adventure.

• Lea Ann says

Well, unfortunately the raisins are a big part of what makes the flavor so interesting. Maybe you could try one bite with and then pick out the rest. :)

My father loved it! And so (you won’t believe this) I copied a recipe for Mulligatawny Soup
    from Bon Appétit, September 2005 just the other day.
    I’ll compare the two recipes, Lea Ann, and see what I come up with. Easy sounds better! :)

I’ve never had it before. Heck, I don’t even know how to SAY it, lol.

But for what it’s worth, it sounds great. Unfortunately, the rest of my family doesn’t like curry like I do.

• Lea Ann says

I don’t know how to say it either Chris. I’ll keep keep saying it like I think it’s right until I hear someone official say it correctly. :)