Three Cheese Chicken Lasagna

Here’s what we like about this:

• It’s a pasta and ooey-gooey cheese combination.
  • The sweet and fresh picked home-grown tomatoes turn this dish into a star.
  • With ground chicken breast and a cream sauce, you’ve got a great summer version of lasagna.
  • The ground garlic cheese croutons added a crunchy little au gratin topping goodness to the whole thing.
  • One teaspoon of cayenne pepper brightens the tomato sauce and brings this dish to an unexpected level of excitement.

What we didn’t like:

• This is one of these dishes where will power and common sense becomes nonexistent.  Somewhere during your third helping, you realize you can’t stop eating it.

I only make this dish each summer when fresh tomatoes from my garden are rolling around on my kitchen counter.  That beautiful fresh tomato flavor truly shines when paired with the three mild cheeses and the ground chicken. Creamy in flavor, and served simply with a tossed salad it’s a wonderful meal. Let’s take a look.

Three Cheese Chicken Lasagna:

• 1/2 C. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 C. chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 C. milk
  • 1/4 C. chicken broth
  • Handful garlic cheese croutons, ground in a mini-chopper

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook until almost tender, according to package directions. Drain.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Oil a lasagna baking dish.

In a frying pan heat oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned. Add the onion and red pepper and saute until softened, about two minutes. Stir in the garlic and cayenne pepper and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the chopped tomatoes and basil, stir well and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes, adding the milk and chicken broth to maintain a thick soupy consistency. The amount will depend on how juicy the tomatoes are. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.

In a bowl combine ricotta, Parmesan and egg and mix well. Stir in the parsley.

Line the bottom of the baking dish with about 1/4 of the lasagna noodles. Spread with 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, sprinkle with 1/3 of the mozzarella, and then spoon on 1/4 of the sauce. Repeat the layering two more times, using up all the ricotta mixture and the mozzarella.  Top with the remaining noodles and finally the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with ground up croutons.

Cover and bake until heated through and the sauce is bubbling. About 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Uncover and cut into squares to serve.

Three Cheese Chicken Lasagna…It’s What’s For Dinner

Comments

Girl! I’m between unpacking and repacking from my wild and crazy travels and couldn’t resist reading a quick blog . . . so glad I did!! This looks so delicious and I am swimming in tomatoes. Love the whole idea of fresh tomatoes and ooey gooey cheese! LOL about the downside of this dish. I’ll keep that in mind.

I WISH I had had tomatoes rolling around on my counter – this has been the worst tomato crop I’ve had in years and years. Such a bummer, as I really try to eat fresh tomatoes only in the summer when they are in season!

Oh my, how delicious this looks! Since I am desperately trying to knock off a couple of pounds for my trip to England, so I’ll have to look at the photos for now. As soon as I get back though, I am making this.

Oh yeah,,,,I can see that ooey gooey cheese in there! I wish I hadn’t seen this recipe at this hour of the morning cause that gives me plenty of time to check the larder and make certain I have what I need. Triple cheese killer recipe, Lea Ann!

I shouldn’t have come here just before lunch! This sounds wonderful. I’m a sucker for lasagna but love the idea of making it with chicken. Delish!

Elway sighting at 1:27 minutes before the half.

16, wirth a Janikowskie reocord tying 63 yard field goal, to 3 at half time Oakland Raiders are hanging on.

Earthquake cake for half time dessert.

16 to 13 Lots of penaltys. Unsportsmen like contact.. Jeeze it is football. Darrel McFadden has almost 100 yards.The eyelids are getting heavy thanks to good food..No Elway sightings thank gosh.

What is a boo bird? Is that native to Denver fans? 23-20 Oakland Raiders have dominated and schooled Elways farm team of football players.

What did we bet again? Ah forget about it.

I never have considered that in lasagne the tomatoes would make a huge difference since they are cooked together with all the other strong flavors (meaning that using garden tomatoes would improve the dish quality)! I always think to channel my tomatoes into a fresh dish where the flavors are more center stage. With cold weather coming and an abundance of tomatoes I think this sounds great. Love that you used chicken instead of beef or pork.

Toni, for some reason those tomatoes were so good in this. Maybe stirring them in and not cooking them long enough for them to break down before layering with the other ingredients. Or maybe that they’re next to that cool bite of ricotta? Whatever…we liked it. :)