Here’s what we like about this:
- It’s a pasta and ooey-gooey cheese combination.
- The sweet and fresh picked home-grown tomatoes turn this dish into a star.
- With ground chicken breast and a cream sauce, you’ve got a great summer version of lasagna.
- The ground garlic cheese croutons added a crunchy little au gratin topping goodness to the whole thing.
- One teaspoon of cayenne pepper brightens the tomato sauce and brings this dish to an unexpected level of excitement.
What we didn’t like:
- This is one of these dishes where will power and common sense becomes nonexistent. Somewhere during your third helping, you realize you can’t stop eating it.
I only make this dish each summer when fresh tomatoes from my garden are rolling around on my kitchen counter. That beautiful fresh tomato flavor truly shines when paired with the three mild cheeses and the ground chicken. Creamy in flavor, and served simply with a tossed salad it’s a wonderful meal. Let’s take a look.
Save this recipe for when you have fresh Summer tomatoes. Creamy and cheesy chicken lasagna
- 1 package lasagna noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds fresh garden tomatoes chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 Cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 Cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 1/4 Cup chicken broth
- Handful garlic cheese croutons ground in a mini-chopper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook until almost tender, according to package directions. Drain.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Oil a lasagna baking dish.
In a frying pan heat oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned. Add the onion and red pepper and saute until softened, about two minutes. Stir in the garlic and cayenne pepper and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the chopped tomatoes and basil, stir well and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes, adding the milk and chicken broth to maintain a thick soupy consistency. The amount will depend on how juicy the tomatoes are. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
In a bowl combine ricotta, Parmesan and egg and mix well. Stir in the parsley.
Line the bottom of the baking dish with about 1/4 of the lasagna noodles. Spread with 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, sprinkle with 1/3 of the mozzarella, and then spoon on 1/4 of the sauce. Repeat the layering two more times, using up all the ricotta mixture and the mozzarella. Top with the remaining noodles and finally the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with ground up croutons.
Cover and bake until heated through and the sauce is bubbling. About 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Uncover and cut into squares to serve.
Three Cheese Chicken Lasagna…It’s What’s For Dinner
Ever tried Ina’s Mustard Vinaigrette. A simple bowl of mixed greens with this wonderfully flavored creamy dressing would be a great side for this Chicken Lasagna.