The Best Sandwich in the World: Bacon Lettuce and Tomato

It’s a tradition around our house that as soon as the first ripe tomato is picked from the garden breakfast the next morning is a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich. And with each bite I’m wishing that the sandwich would never end. Afterall it is the best sandwich in the world and what tastes better than the first home-grown vine-ripened tomato::::sigh. Served with an ice cold glass of orange juice and a slice of Rocky Ford cantaloupe it’s an award-winning meal.

This year I planted two Early Girls, one Beefsteak, some sort of who knows what kind of cherry tomato plant (the marker from the greenhouse mistakenly indicated it was an Early Girl), One Better Boy, one Patio and then I got daring and on impulse picked up a yellow Brandywine plant at Whole Foods, (which by the way has yet to produce a single bloom).

So what’s your story Early Girls? The first ripened tomato, picked on July 30, came from the big beautiful Beefsteak plant rather than quicker producing Early Girl plants. Sometimes I think these plants have a mind of their own.

So how do you build the best sandwich in the world?  Here’s how we do it.

• Thick slice your delicious and prized first fresh garden tomato. Lightly salt and set aside
  • Fry 8 slices of good quality thick sliced bacon (4 slices bacon for each sandwich)
  • Toast 4 slices of OroWeat Oat Nut Bread
  • Best Foods Mayonnaise
  • iceberg or butter Lettuce

Slather each slice of warm toast with mayonnaise. Arrange 4 slices of bacon for each sandwich. Add that thick slice of garden tomato. Top with lettuce and the other mayo slathered piece of toast.  Slice on the diagonal.

Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Sandwiches…It’s What’s for Breakfast.

Comments

1. Russ says

There’s a pub around the corner from me that serves excellent BLTs. They add a little red onion and some shredded cheddar. The toast is wheat and the bacon is the really peppery kind. Dang. I want that for lunch now.

Russ, I think that sounds wonderful. Sometimes I’ll throw on an avocado, an egg and you can bet I’ll be trying a little cheddar and peppery bacon. Do you think they use mayo? Or mustard?

I’d be hard pressed to disagree with the BLT’s ranking especially with a good ripe tomato and good bacon. Your whole meal sounds super good. I wish I hadn’t just eaten a pimento cheese or I would have had one of these – but I’ll have to eat again tomorrow.

Beautiful tomatoes, woman – I’ll never have that size tomatoes up here without a greenhouse! I love a good blt and I’m with you. Best sandwich in the world. I love the tomato / mayo flavors when they blend. Now I’ll be craving one of those all day. (with cantaloupe of course) ; )

Well have you ever grown those big-ol Beefsteaks? This may be the first year I’ve planted them. Hard to tell since I never keep track. I’ve promised myself to keep track and make notes this year. I’ve been craving a BLT ever since I planted the plants. But I always promise myself I’ll wait for the treat until I pick my first tomatoes.

I couldn’t even plant tomatoes until Memorial Day. Cold, rainy May. Now all this heat has suddenly given me a couple of tomaotes. Always love hearing from you Reeni.

4. pat says

Sounds wonderful!! II had a few a few weeks ago but now in Kansas, we are having a hard time finding home grown tomatoes!!

My Early Girl is producing right now. I just had to pull off a couple with blossom end rot so I’m cherishing every perfect one that we get to eat. We had pico de gallo with our tostadas tonight made with them. They were allmost as good as a BLT but not quite. I got brave this year and have a couple of heirlooms that are finally starting to get some little tomatoes on them. I’m so excited I can’t stand it. I’m so with you, this is the perfect sandwich.

Karen, I don’t know what’s up with my Early Girls. They’ve got a couple of green tomatoes. And as soon as I said in my post that my heirloom had’t produced one single bloom, then yesterday it had a single bloom. Pico is my next post. I made some with vine tomatoes from Farmer’s Market. Ohmydelicious.

You are so right. A BLT is the best sandwich in the world. I grew up in south Arkansas in pink tomato country and some summers I ate so many tomatoes I thought I would turn into one. Sometimes we make basil mayonnaise for our BLT. Our tomatoes got a late start this year, so we’ve had to patronize the local farmers market. Got a couple of big Cherokee Purples, our favorites, last week. Too bad we don’t live closer to Larry. We could snitch some out of his garden when he wasn’t looking.

I’ve never heard of pink or Cherokee purples. Our tomatoes got a late start too, we had such a cold and rainy May, I couldn’t plant until Memorial Day. I’m surprised I have a couple this early.

Good summer tomatoes are priceless, and really, the best way to showcase them is in a simple sandwich like this! It’s a classic for a reason!

Best sandwich in the world is the perfect title for this luscious creation. There’s nothing like a vine ripened tomato still warm from the sun. I’ll try the oat nut bread the next time I make this sammie. Sounds delicious.

My first year in the Army, the senior platoon leader in my company was a character who may very well have been the mannerism inspiration for Stephen Colbert. Not the politics, but the gestures, hand waving, air guitar licks, and faces. Funny guy, and he always had a quick comment to everything. Not necessarily funny, but quick.

And one day, in the snack bar, someone commented on the lack of healthy choices on the menu. Before anyone else could even scan the menu or contemplate a response, my buddy shouted, “What are you talking about? A BLT and a milkshake … that’s your four basic food groups right there!”

We call these BTL’s because those are my husband’s initials! I make mine the same way you do, except I might use a bit (ok, a lot) more mayo ;)

Jealous! Have yet to have a home grown tomato this year! Know what I would love? Your tomatoes and my home cured bacon. Still with Orowheat Oat Nut Bread…always a staple in my breadbox.

Think I will make a BLT now, with some OK tomatoes and dream of having yours!

Absolutely. BLT’s are the best. I always find it odd that in the Caribbean, their BLT”s always have a fried egg in them. (Of course, I love a good fried egg and bacon sandwich too!)

I’m not a big breakfast eater. When we go out for breakfast, I always ask if they can make me a BLT. Our tomatoes are still green…I am still waiting for that first ripe tomato.

It is the best sandwich in the world and my husband waits patiently for the first ripe tomatoes here also. Right now, they are only cherry tomatoes – not conducive to BLTs. My tomatoes are doing well however, probably because it’s been so hot and dry the past month.

BLTs are #1 on most days. Last week I finally had some Early Girls ready – not so early. FYI, the regular Brandywine generally ripen late August in Denver (if you planted it in late May) but the heirlooms taste fantastic and are worth the wait.

I also have a couple of Early Girls I’ll be able to pick today. Yay! And thanks for the tip on the Brandywine’s. They’ve actually now got some blooms.

Ohforgawdsake! Already? I tried to make a friendly wager last year and you wouldn’t let me pay up. Of course that game was perhaps the most humiliating game of my Bronco career. :)

You can “add to” a BLT and I have seen some WONDERFUL versions but I honestly don’t think you can actually IMPROVE a good, basic BLT.

Gorgeous photo of your sandwich Lea Ann! Definitely my favorite during the summer–and during the winter it’s gotta be a grilled cheese. I was surprised at how utterly delicious my BLTs were when I started putting them on fresh toasted whole wheat bread from our local bakeries. It’s a great example of how every ingredient is key.