Shrimp Cocktail Sauce Recipe

“We Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Area Rug”

With all of our rain this year, the high country sports a beautiful carpet of wildflowers and vegetation. The caption is for Nancy…and for those of you who weren’t there when she said it, it’s one of those “had to be there” moments.  She confused two famous movie quotes that included badges and area rugs and …well.. as I said…you needed to be there.

Nothing like a big ol’ platter of shrimp cocktail on the back deck on a Summer evening. I love this serving presentation, an idea I got from Vickie over at Part Three. Not that Vickie invented the shrimp cocktail appetizer, but she did give me this idea of serving the shrimp over peppery arugula that’s been tossed with olive oil and lemon juice.

The crisp arugula seems perfect on the palate as a chaser for that bite of shrimp that’s been dipped in the flavor explosion of a great cocktail sauce. I’m partial to my recipe. For us, it’s the perfect combination. Sweet with catsup, tangy with a bite of horseradish and a little Snap-E-Tom Juice thrown in goes well with the horseradish. it had everyone asking for the recipe.

Shrimp Cocktail Sauce Recipe

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • ½ C. Catsup
  • 1 T. horseradish — prepared
  • 1 T. Lemon juice
  • ½ tsp. grated lemon peel
  • ¼ C. Snap-E-Tom Juice
  • ¼ t. Worcestershire sauce
  • Pepper
Instructions
  1. For the shrimp: In a pot of water, add several stalks of fresh parsley. Cut a lemon in half, squeeze the juice into the water and then add the lemons. Toss in one bay leaf and a small stalk of celery with leaves. Salt the water and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Turn up heat until boiling, add shrimp and boil until pink. That’s 1 – 3 minutes depending on size of shrimp. With a slotted spoon, remove shrimp to a plate, cover and chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Peel and devein. Serve with cocktail sauce.

I have no idea what kind of flower this is. Some sort of lily? I’m hoping one of my gardening expert readers, and you know who you are, can point me in the right direction. These were scattered along Lake Irene, Milner Pass, Continental Divide, probably about 12,000 ft. altitude. Aren’t they divine?

Shrimp Cocktail…It’s What’s for a Summer Meal on the Back Deck.

Comments

1. Nancy says

LOL, Lea Ann!! Yes I was confused and it was hilarious! Thanks to my handy iPhone we were able to sort it all out. Yesterday some newscaster said “We don’t need no stinkin’ ” (can’t remember what we didn’t need as I was too busy laughing). You had to be there ;)
    You speak the truth – this cocktail sauce was amazing!!! I encourage everyone to give it a try. And, btw – the first picture here may be my favorite from the trip. :) Those grasses were beautiful and love how you caught them with the flowers.

I laugh everytime I think about it. And with that priceless awkward pause of silence after you said it … and then Neal pointing out that you had confused two quotes … LOL. Best that husbands point out that kind of stuff. :) And what’s really funny, I don’t even remember why you said it. I mean we were at the grocery store???!!

I’m fond of that photo too. And with that little bee in the middle.

Thanks Russ, I love that serving tray too. It’s quite large and they had a smaller one just like it with only one bird. Cheap at Hobby Lobby. I kick myself for not getting both. :/ It’s metal and a dark gray/brown.

Wow- not even sure where to start! Both of your flora photos are a.maz.ing! I had to go back up and enlarge that first one to see the little bee – frameable art! And that shrimp sauce sounds delicious – and your photos really captured the fresh deliciousness of the dish. And speaking of dish – you should probably hide that one when I come your way. Beyond cute. I’m still laughing at Nancy’s line. I’m going to use it and nobody will understand what the heck I’m talking about. (whatev)
    Really great post, LA!

You’re welcome! :)

And about that dish…I’m sure you saw my reply to Russ. Hobby Lobby, should have gotten 10 of them. Inexpensive and would make great gifts.

One of these days I’ll get a lens for my camera that will get a shot of that bee! Thanks for all the compliments Vickie. I’m so enjoying your idea of that shrimp and arugula. Had it again last night for dinner. Nice and summery and with all the heat we’ve had it sure was a nice no-cook meal.

This looks so good and I do love the idea of serving it over dressed arugula. Yum! We are headed up for a family picnic at Rocky Mountain Nat’l Forest today. I don’t think my food will be quite as elegant as yours but I’m sure that the scenery will make up for it.

Yum, we love cocktail sauce with a good horseradish kick to it. I admired Vickie’s presentation too and will use a plate of arugula too the next time I serve shrimp this way. Your serving dish is very pretty, Lea Ann.

What a great idea to serve it over arugula. Now why would I think you of all people would like arugula (smile)? Beautiful presentation Lea Ann. Only problem is that I could eat the whole platter. We like cocktail sauce with a kick too.

Thank you! I stopped by Hobby Lobby yesterday to see if they had more. GONE! Darnit. I’ve had so many compliments and it was so cheap I was hoping to find some for gifts.