During the summer months, I cannot get my fill of lean meats, greens and fresh homemade vinaigrettes. Here’s another recipe for a flavorful dish with an exciting new dressing. Don’t let the length of this recipe scare you away, this salad packs bright flavor with minimal fuss.
Grilled Asparagus and Steak Salad with Hoisin Vinaigrette (Another great find from Food and Wine Magazine)
Dry rub for the steak:
1/2 Tbs black peppercorns
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp fennel seed
1 lb thick-cut New York strip steak (I used a tri-tip)
1-1/2 Tbs olive oil
1 lb thick asparagus, trimmed
Freshly ground black pepper
For the vinaigrette
3 Tbs chicken broth
2-1/2 Tbs hoisin sauce
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs white wine vinegar
1-1/2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp minced garlic
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the salad
4 cups upland cress or watercress (surprised that I used arugula???)
1 large mango, peeled and slivered into thin wedges, or 2 large navel oranges, peeled and sliced into thick rounds
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced and soaked briefly in ice water (surprised that I used a Vidalia???)
Daikon or radish sprouts for garnish (I used pea tendrils because they’re so pretty and delicate)
1. Prepare the steak and asparagus
2. Put the peppercorns, coriander, fennel, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. Coat the steak with 1/2 Tbs. of the olive oil and then the peppercorn mixture. Set aside for at least 30 minutes and up to 1-1/2 hours.
3. Toss the asparagus with the remaining 1 Tbs. of olive oil and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
4. Make the vinaigrette
5. In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse 2 or 3 times to mix, adding more broth if necessary to achieve a silky consistency.
6. Grill the steak and asparagus
7. Prepare a high gas or charcoal grill fire. Grill the steak until nice grill marks form, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook the steak on the second side until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the steak reads 125°F for rare, about 4 minutes. Remove the steak from the grill and put on a cutting board. Tent with foil to keep warm. Let the meat rest while you grill the asparagus.
8. Spread out the asparagus on the grill and cook, turning a couple of times, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
9. Assemble the salad
10. Arrange the asparagus, cress, and mango on 4 plates or a platter. Thinly slice the steak across the grain and arrange over the salad. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and garnish with the red onion and daikon sprouts (if using).
Grilled Asparagus and Steak Salad with Hoisin Vinaigrette…It’s What’s For Dinner
On this day..
- Chili Burrito Recipe - 2012