Grilled Asparagus and Steak Salad with Hoisin Vinaigrette

During the summer months, I cannot get my fill of lean meats, greens and fresh homemade vinaigrettes.  Here’s another recipe for a flavorful dish with an exciting new dressing.  Don’t let the length of this recipe scare you away, this salad packs bright flavor with minimal fuss.

Grilled Asparagus and Steak Salad with Hoisin Vinaigrette (Another great find from Food and Wine Magazine)

Dry rub for the steak:
1/2 Tbs black peppercorns
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp fennel seed
Kosher salt

1 lb thick-cut New York strip steak (I used a tri-tip)
1-1/2 Tbs olive oil
1 lb thick asparagus, trimmed
Freshly ground black pepper

For the vinaigrette
3 Tbs chicken broth
2-1/2 Tbs hoisin sauce
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs white wine vinegar
1-1/2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp minced garlic
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

For the salad
4 cups upland cress or watercress (surprised that I used arugula???)
1 large mango, peeled and slivered into thin wedges, or 2 large navel oranges, peeled and sliced into thick rounds
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced and soaked briefly in ice water (surprised that I used a Vidalia???)
Daikon or radish sprouts for garnish (I used pea tendrils because they’re so pretty and delicate)

1. Prepare the steak and asparagus

2. Put the peppercorns, coriander, fennel, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. Coat the steak with 1/2 Tbs. of the olive oil and then the peppercorn mixture. Set aside for at least 30 minutes and up to 1-1/2 hours.

3. Toss the asparagus with the remaining 1 Tbs. of olive oil and season with salt and pepper; set aside.

4. Make the vinaigrette

5. In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse 2 or 3 times to mix, adding more broth if necessary to achieve a silky consistency.

6. Grill the steak and asparagus

7. Prepare a high gas or charcoal grill fire. Grill the steak until nice grill marks form, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook the steak on the second side until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the steak reads 125°F for rare, about 4 minutes. Remove the steak from the grill and put on a cutting board. Tent with foil to keep warm. Let the meat rest while you grill the asparagus.

8. Spread out the asparagus on the grill and cook, turning a couple of times, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.

9. Assemble the salad

10. Arrange the asparagus, cress, and mango on 4 plates or a platter. Thinly slice the steak across the grain and arrange over the salad. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and garnish with the red onion and daikon sprouts (if using).

Comments

I’m with you, I just can’t get enough of fresh greens during the summer. This vinaigrette just looks spectacular. Have a great 4th!

I don’t know why my alter ego name of my family gossip blog keeps coming up when I sign in here, but I’m glad you figured out it’s me.

That vinaigrette is really good Karen. Hope you give it a try. I’m going to have to sneak over and read that gossip blog. :-) Have a great 4th and miss seeing you.

I should know to avoid reading your blog when I’m hungry, but I have NO willpower when it comes to checking out your new posts. This recipe hooked me as soon as I read the dry rub ingredients. Do you have a spice grinder? I keep thinking I’m going to buy a coffee grinder just for spices. That combo sounds so darned good! And that vinaigrette is really unusual. I’m printing this to put in the “to try” pile. Thanks!

I have a coffee grinder that someone gave me as a gift 20 years ago. It’s my spice grinder. L-o-v-e love how it works. The vinaigrette is really good. And by the way, I’ve used that darn Comal every day since I’ve purchased it. Thanks for the recommendation. It’s fabulous.

Exactly my kind of meal too but I love the vinaigrette; it’s so different from my norm that I’m excited to try it. Since first grilling asparagus a couple of years ago Lea Ann, I simply can’t do it any other way. Easy, fast and the most delicious result ever, isn’t it?

Wow Lea Ann. Another great salad. You know I love the citrus/mango in this. (might use both) Thanks for a new vinaigrette recipe. I’ve never thought of using hoisin in a dressing. I’ll definitely try it.

Had to book mark this as soon as you said “hoisin vinaigrette”. I can imagine 10 different ways that I want to use that and only 1 of them is salad. Thanks for sharing this one.

Well, I’ve got a bottle on the fridge door that I used once for a recipe which I was underwhelmed. Glad to find a use for it, until I find another recipe for stir fry that I like.