Ham Avocado and Egg Breakfast

ham eggs and avocado breakfast

As you know, Sunday mornings around our house are reserved for a big hearty breakfast, which 99.99999% of the time involves a sunny-side up egg.  Here’s the latest and here’s what I did.  Ham Avocado and Egg Breakfast.

I bought a Niman Ranch ham steak and carved out two portions, browned them on both sides and placed into two oven proof dishes.

I then topped each slice of ham with a slice of fresh tomato and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

Topped each with chopped avocado and dotted with dollops of sour cream.

Ham and avocado breakfast recipe

I broke an egg on the side of each of the ham slice. The egg will spread around the sides and fill in around the ham. Lightly salted and peppered, I sprinkled with chopped cilantro.  I baked them at 350 degrees until everything was warm and steamy and the egg was sunny-side up.

The results?  The Niman Ranch ham was absolutely wonderful. Along with its $10 price tag for one steak came a velvety tender and mildly flavored piece of ham. Moist, tender and juicy, it was void of heavy salt flavor that other less expensive ham steaks often exhibit.  More than half of that thick cut of ham is now in the freezer and will probably feed two of us three times. A much better value and a healthier choice that I’ll make going forward.

The tomato, even though hot-house grown, added a nice tangy element to the combination, especially topped with the parmesan cheese.

The avocado and the egg brought the creamy texture and elegant flavor that elevated the ham and tomato to the heavenly level.

The chopped cilantro brought a sassy flair to the whole thing. Next time I think I’ll sprinkle on a small bit of red pepper flakes.

Ham, Avocado and Egg Breakfast..It’s What’s for Sunday Morning.

One Year Ago:  Breakfast Hot Dogs

Two Years Ago:  Breckenridge Brewery

Comments

You know how I feel about eggs. I just love them especially when they are combined with all of my favorites like you’ve done here. I just may have to think up a reason to come by your house on Sunday morning. Yum!

2. barbbq says

Love, love, love your creativity. I am envious! Lucky for all of us that you share :) Can’t wait for Sunday morning!

This sounds perfect! I love the idea of baking the eggs with all those delicous extras – and that Niman Ranch ham sounds scrumptious. I love ham, but hardly ever buy it. This would be a perfect way to enjoy it now and then! Nice photos, too – I love your colors.

I buy ham about once a year, but do buy those ham steaks in the meat department at Safeway. They’re good grilled for a quick meal. I picked up this Niman ham at Whole Foods and about choked at the price tag at checkout, but well worth it. Thicker cut and much better flavor.

Gosh, thanks Pam. Hope you like it, let me know. I was worried about baking avocado, but the few minutes it took to cook the egg, didn’t transform the avocado into something odd. :-)

4. JC says

I love egg’s and avocado’s. Will try this one soon. One of my favorite’s, avocado and chunks of cream cheese stirred into scrambled egg’s, yum. If your really feeling decadent, add some crab.

Fancy yet not too complicated to make while still partially asleep, ha ha. I really like your idea about adding the red pepper flake. Can I toss a splash of hot sauce in at the table too?