The Great Food Truck Race Rolls Into Denver

The Lime Truck preparing Sriracha Lime Remoulade

On Saturday, Kirsten from My Kitchen In The Rockies, Karen from Eat Drink and Wash Up and yours truly headed into the city to chase after a battalion of Food Trucks that rolled into Denver for a leg of prime time Food Network’s series, The Great Food Truck Race.

The Great Food Truck Race is a Food Network series where seven teams representing some of the country’s best food trucks hit the road to cook their way across America. Each week the teams that sell the most food race on to the next episode. The losing team drives home. In the end one food truck will remain and the team behind the wheel and the grill of that truck will win the grand prize.

We spent three days prior to the event following tweets, blogs and Facebook pages trying to get some sort of clue as to where the top-secret spots were where the celebrity trucks would park. It wasn’t until about 10:00 on Saturday morning that a Facebook post came through from Denver Food Events with the complete list of locations. When the post came through we were already stationed at a flea market in Northwest Denver because of an earlier tip. We were waiting for Seabirds, a vegan truck from Orange County.  The schedule indicated that Seabirds wasn’t to arrive at that location until noon, so we quickly changed our strategy and headed into Downtown Denver to Steuben’s Restaurant and Marczyk Fine Foods where Korilla BBQ (Korean Fusion BBQ from New York), The Lime Truck (Beach Food From Irvine, Calif) and HodgePodge (Cleveland based) trucks were scheduled to convene.  Bingo!

We spent about three hours photographing, mingling, meeting other local food bloggers, watching the flurry of film crews work the event, standing in line for food truck  food, keeping a close eye out for Tyler Florence and basically basking in what was a unique experience and event.

The film crew stationed at Korilla BBQ noticed Kirsten taking photos, pulled her aside and prepped her for what was to become about a 30-minute filming segment. The crew filmed her interviewing the food truck owners and taking photos of the crowds and trucks. Then they interviewed her about a local food blogger’s perspective on the whole event.  That’s right folks, I’m pretty sure she’s going to be a part of the segment when it airs in August.  I mean how exciting is that?!?!

Heading back home, we hit one more location, Cuba Cuba Restaurant where it was reported that Cafe Con Leche, a Cuban-themed Los Angeles truck was stationed. We had some great fun and some great food. Enjoy the slide show.

[slideshow]

The Great Food Truck Race…It’s What’s For A Great Event

Comments

1. Russ says

This reminds me of “Top Chef” when they make the chefs cook in some weird place. This season is really good — I hope you’re watching!

I so wish I could have joined you but I do worry about unknowns and after a day at the Costco of Korean markets…I think I made a good choice and just watched and waited from afar. I’m waiting for the day when they have a food truck event and they’re all in the same place. Wuss, right?

Sounds like you had great fun…fabulous day for it!

Love your pictures Lea Ann. Please, please send them to me!! Can’t wait.
    We went back today and had a lot of fun. Ate at the Hodge and Korilla BBQ. The Hodge Podge Chef was hilarious. Have to tell you in person. Got a picture of him and my daughter.

OK…I am SUPER, SUPER jealous! I mean not only of your day and all and ALL that wonderful food BUT that you guys all got to meet up and hang out! That’s it…I’m moving to Denver!!!! I need a change anyway!

I agree, their menu was amazing. Too bad I was stuffed by the time we got there. No more room. :/ Good to hear from you Ayvette.

This food truck mania is something to behold! I’ve seen the show on the Food Network and another blogger I follow is a food truckaholic. I’ve seen them in NYC; we sure don’t have them here. Just as well, it’s usually all too fattening for words!
    Sounds like you had great fun, Leaann!

Barbara, we only have a few in Denver. I’ve never eaten at one before, but you can bet I’ll be seeking them out after this. Fabulous…and I mean fabulous food.

Kirsten, Karen and LA’s excellent adventure! What a fun day – I’m dying see more about this when it’s televised. I’ve only eaten at the California taco trucks – which I love more than chocolate- and these look amazing. Lime Sriracha Remoulade, Lobster Roll topped with Arugula . . . I’m in love with them by name only! Love the pictures.

Can you believe it Vickie???? What a fun adventure. Are you ready for this: I’ve never–ever–ever–not once eaten at a Food Truck before Saturday? The food was “to die for”. That Lime Sriracha Remoulade will find its way into my kitchen. And sooner than later. And what about that Kirsten being a Food Network star? I’ll eat my hat if she’s not included in the segment come August. And please, when I email you to say that I’m opening up a food truck, beat me back to sense. :-)

• Vickie says

LOL Can’t promise you that . . . in fact I’m pretty sure I would make a mean food- truck-sous-chef near a beach. Meanwhile, I’ll just be up here drumming my nails on the desk waiting while you get that lime sriracha sauce dialed in. ;)

What a great way to spend a day and that is some good looking grub – looks like your friend had a really special day. I’ve seen them on TV, but doubt they’ll make a stop in Greenback – there are some advantages to the big city, if only they didn’t have so many people and cars :-)

I didn’t see Greenback on the schedule Larry. :-) It was a great day, I’ll be making that Hodge Dawg at home and you’ll have to oo and ahhhh when I blog about it. And yes I think Kirsten has bit the big time.

Ahhh so much fun! I haven’t seen the show but I always see Tyler Florence tweeting about it (yes I stalk him on twitter). Too cool that you got to go!

Favorite Denver food truck: Denver Biscuit Co. And there’s an excellent gathering at the Cherry Creek Mall every summer Saturday. Cheers!