No Recipe Required: Chili Dogs

Chili Dogs

• Open and heat a can of Cattle Drive Chili (Costco)
  • Heat up hot dogs
  • Microwave hot dog buns 15 seconds
  • Top with grated cheddar cheese and chopped onion
  • Side with bbq potato chips

It’s What’s For Dinner.

Comments

I was raised in an area, where hot dog sauce and chili (the soup) were pretty different and it never ever had beans in it. Where I live now, your post describes the typical hot dog except it’s likely Hormel chili and then topped with slaw – I don’t do that either. I have come to realize that I did not grow up on the world wide traditional hot dog, but I have a hard time with anything else. Basically I was just messing with you.

I’ve got a large list of regional hot dog differences that I’d love to blog about. Incredibly interesting. Only problem, there’s no “Denver Dog” … I grew up where you had a hot dog on a bun with mustard only. Delicious. Oh, sometimes we splurged and topped it with some jarred sweet pickle relish. Blogging and media has also opened up my eyes about the vast array of toppings…and the passion for their claim to the best “dog”. I imagine that any dog, from any region, in any style is going to be so very good. You just can’t beat a good hot dog. I’d love to try a Chicago Dog. And by the way, Hormel and slaw sounds divine.

• Jen says

It IS good! I used to get a Slaw Dog at a place called Sandy’s. I thought it would be yummy to just order their slaw once — WAY too sweet, but it was perfect for topping spicy chili. (spice+sweet = yummmmm!)

I used to always buy some brand of beanless only because I liked the taste. I’d have to see the can to know. Any kind of chips will do for me. :-)

Love the ‘that’s pathetic but ok’ comment! Hopefully someone you know!

Let’s get real here; as much as we’d all love to be whipping up meals three times a day from scratch it’s never going to happen! I for one appreciate the reminder of simple fare with very short leadtime. I get into a weekday rut preparing the same thing over and over wedged between activities. I do NOT think this is pathetic but a stroke of genius to share. Thank you!

Toni, I’d love to gourmet cook all day, but sometimes I don’t get home from work until 6 – 7. And then there are some days I just have to have some good ol junk food.

This is a “go-to” quick lunch for us when we’re running behind on time and starving. We don’t have a Costco near us, so sometimes we used shhh…I’m going to whisper this….Wendy’s chili, but don’t tell.

Hope you and your family have a great Easter weekend Lea Ann.

I hadn’t had a chili dog for years and years until last summer. I was asked to bring Chili Dogs for an event at a Real Estate Office. Loaded up my crock pot to keep the dogs warm, another for the Cattle Drive chili and handed them out to about 100 Realtors. That artwork is just Publisher word art.

I haven’t had a good chili dog for over 30 years! I had my first christening in Los Angeles in 1979 at Tommy’s, a famous chili dog joint. Now I wish I had another!

My favorite hotdog is a carolina style ATW or “all the way” with onions, mustard, slaw and chili. While I MUST have beans in my chili when I eat chili, my chili for hot dogs can’t. Weird?