April Wine Time

2004 Vieux Telegraphe

Last Fall, Bob came up with a great idea to get our wine-loving friends together once a month, at our house, to taste test a notable bottle of wine.

When this bunch gets together, and due to a series of incidents at a certain bed and breakfast back-yard gazebo in Oregon, laying down rules is a rule.

Simple. Bob picks out the wine, I provide an appetizer, Tom and Kathy and Dan and Teri trade off turns bringing another bottle of wine and an additional appetizer.

I don’t know why I don’t blog about it more. Maybe we’re just having too much fun to take photos?

I’d like to put a stop to that, so sit back and enjoy April’s event.

The Wine:

For this month’s featured selection we broke out a 2004 Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf du Pape; It was a big rollicking wine featuring a lot of fruit, minerality and mouth-watering acidity. We all enjoyed this Southern Rhone perennial blockbuster immensely, only wishing we could break the rules and have about two more bottles.

The Food:

Kathy and Tom had just been to Omaha to visit friends and apparently returned home with their luggage packed to the gills with gourmet foodie items. Really From Omaha?? Nebraska???

Take a look at this great little slate board with the cheese types written below each one. This was definitely an impressive lineup!

From back to front:

Hard to pick a favorite, but mine was the Morbier.  You can click on the links to learn more about any of these cheeses.

A great assortment of cheese wouldn’t be complete without a classic array of crackers.

Kathy sliced up a soft baguette, topped it with Cambazola Blue Cheese and drizzled with some balsamic glaze. I couldn’t keep out of these things. Really nice flavors. The glaze was purchased in Omaha? Really?? Nebraska???  I hope I can find some in Denver, that’s a long drive.

My contribution was a recipe compliments of Stephanie over at Plain Chicken. Meatball Sliders. Frozen Italian-style meatballs, simmered in jarred marinara sauce and wrapped in Pillsbury Crescent Rolls with a slice of mozarella. Thanks Stephanie! These were incredibly good, easy to put together and a crowd pleaser. Click on the link for the recipe.

And of course, our Wine Time event wouldn’t be complete without Cheetos, a tradition Dan started at the very first event. Why do those darn things seem to pair so well with every single wine we’ve had???

The People:

Note to self: Remember to take photos of people too.

April Wine Time…Appetizers were for Dinner .

One Year Ago: Southwestern Chicken Fried Steak With Green Chili and Egg

Comments

1. Russ says

Wine is no friend of mine, but I bet I could form a very good relationship with the bread rounds and blue cheese!

One of these day’s I’ll actually try to pair the wine with the food. During the week can be hard if I’m getting home from work late. Thanks so much for the recipe.

I have very simple tastes when it comes to wine. As long as it is cold, white and not too dry, I love it. Your appetizers look fantastic. I love Cambozola but Morbier not so much. I wish I would have known you like it I would have given you some that we had and didn’t care for. What a fun night!

This sounds like a blast! I would love to learn more about wines and cheeses and what better way than to gather like this. Random comments . . . I love the slate cheese board and cheese knives (very cool), I’m crazy about bread rounds with bleu cheese and am dying to taste this with the balsamic reduction (YUM) and lastly I notice you have a toothpecker like mine!

P.S. I’m dying to hear the bed and breakfast saga. :)

I’ve got to get me one of those cheese boards! Loved it. Did you see Michele’s comment? I’m going to make my own balsamic reduction thanks to her recipe. And yes, last trip home to Kansas I came across that darn toothpecker. I couldn’t wait to incorporate it into my blog so you could see it. The bed and breakfast saga??????? do you have a couple of hours. omg.

Sounds like a great idea to get together and everything looks outstanding – I’d have to challenge that only one bottle rule though – I’m more of a one bottle per person kind of guy.

Actually there’s two bottles involved and consumed. Only once were the rules broken and a third bottle came to the party…which still doesn’t make it one bottle per person. But then there was the gazebo in Oregon incident….One bottle person plus. ohmy

How cool. Got room for two more people in your group? Sure wish I lived near fun folks like y’all. That cheese board looks like something I need to have. Great post Lea Ann. You might be encouraging new neighbors.

6. dan says

I can be bribed to talk about Oregon-gazebo-madness. I have pictures. Some are of clothed people. Average two and a half bottles per person that night.

Besides the great wine, our monthly Wine Time is basically an excuse to sample Lea Ann’s food creations. Enough said.

Well, the cheese actually came from Whole Foods here in Denver, but after seeing Tom and Kathy’s loot, I’m sure Omaha has a fine selection also. :-)

You cracked me up…mostly for saying what I was thinking. Omaha? Nebraska?

But guessing where there are cows there is cheese huh?

I have a wine group thru Meetup and also do smaller Twitter tasting events; it’s always fun to explore new wines (and appetizers) with friends. And I have that slate cheese board; I’ve sold it in my store. Mine are from JK Adams in Vermont.

Oregon Gazebo Madness – sounds like the name of a punk rock band ;).

Great post. I love doing get togethers like that with folks who appreciate good food and wine.

I so want to join you for one of these! I love this post not only because of the wine but the cheese and snack ideas! Those meatball sliders are great…and those baguette slices w/the blue cheese and balsamic…YUMMMM!!!! Perfect party food is something I am always in search of! Thanks!